New product development is crucial to Unilever’s sales. 2010 saw Magnum’s biggest ever new product launch in terms of geography (29 countries), media spend and commercial objectives: to sell 75 million Magnum Gold ice cream sticks worldwide.
Magnum’s communication recipe had become outdated as the competition had followed suit. Indulgent food category communication codes were abundant with sexual innuendos that were no longer working. Above all, our target market wanted to be surprised.
So we reinvented the game, launching our most innovative campaign in years with Magnum Gold! The first ever golden ice cream on a stick. Launched in the style of an action movie trailer, set around a great robbery with Benicio Del Toro and his glamorous partner attempting to uncover a staggering 75 million pieces of gold. The fully integrated global campaign ran across TV, cinema, outdoor, online, PR and in store.
130 million sticks sold, +73% ahead of target. Turnover increased by 90 million year on year, +12%. Universal trailer was seen online by over 1.9 million people (129% vs plan). The website received over 3.8 million visits. Over 2 million people globally entered the competition to make a video heist film with Benicio Del Toro.
- MullenLowe and Boppy Launch #NeverNotAMom - Published on 01/19/2018
- McCann XBC and Mastercard 'Start Something Priceless' - Published on 01/19/2018
- MullenLowe Launches Work for New Subaru Model - Published on 01/18/2018
- FCB/Six Creates Tool for LGBTQ+ Travelers - Published on 01/18/2018
- DeVries Global and Zippo celebrate the Brand’s 86 years as an Unconventional Canvas - Published on 01/18/2018
- View the charity: water Journey - Published on 01/11/2018
- FCB New Zealand Stresses Importance of Smoke Alarms - Published on 01/11/2018
- McCann and L'Oréal Launch ‘Comeback’ During Golden Globes - Published on 01/10/2018
- Shining a Spotlight on National Design Leadership - Published on 01/10/2018
- Jack Morton Creates Fireworks Display to Celebrate Women’s Suffrage Centenary - Published on 01/05/2018