New product development is crucial to Unilever’s sales. 2010 saw Magnum’s biggest ever new product launch in terms of geography (29 countries), media spend and commercial objectives: to sell 75 million Magnum Gold ice cream sticks worldwide.
Magnum’s communication recipe had become outdated as the competition had followed suit. Indulgent food category communication codes were abundant with sexual innuendos that were no longer working. Above all, our target market wanted to be surprised.
So we reinvented the game, launching our most innovative campaign in years with Magnum Gold! The first ever golden ice cream on a stick. Launched in the style of an action movie trailer, set around a great robbery with Benicio Del Toro and his glamorous partner attempting to uncover a staggering 75 million pieces of gold. The fully integrated global campaign ran across TV, cinema, outdoor, online, PR and in store.
130 million sticks sold, +73% ahead of target. Turnover increased by 90 million year on year, +12%. Universal trailer was seen online by over 1.9 million people (129% vs plan). The website received over 3.8 million visits. Over 2 million people globally entered the competition to make a video heist film with Benicio Del Toro.
- McCann Health Works to Destigmatize Mental Health - Published on 10/20/2017
- McCann Health & Afghan Ministry of Public Health Partner To Increase Childhood Vaccination Rates - Published on 10/19/2017
- WLN NY Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer - Published on 10/16/2017
- Deutsch LA Partners with Tile to Help Find a Lost Panda - Published on 10/13/2017
- Area 23 and DKMS Partner to Save Lives from Blood Cancer - Published on 10/12/2017
- Media Experts Raises Money for At-Risk Parents - Published on 10/12/2017
- Marathon Motivator - Published on 10/11/2017
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Published on 10/11/2017
- Dress Like a Mom - Published on 10/09/2017
- From Guy Snack to "My Snack" - Published on 10/09/2017