PICASSO: Discover the Master.
We were charged with helping the 90-year old museum reach a new audience for its biggest-ever exhibit: PICASSO: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris, a once-in-a-lifetime display of over 170 pieces from Picasso's personal collection. The museum knew the art set would come, but how do you introduce Picasso to a new audience?
We knew discovery was at the core of Picasso's art. So we put it at the core of our campaign, bringing the art directly to the people, so they could discover it on their own, all from one place, their mobile phones.
Using simple QR codes as our raw material, we created an iconic portrait of the artist that challenged people to look deeper.
Scan the QR code and you discovered a gallery of paintings right on your mobile phone.
A Google map showed coordinates arranged in the shape of a bull. At each point on the map, people could discover a painting, sculpture, or provocative quote from Picasso via AR technology.
You could share your discovery via Facebook and Twitter.
And of course, you could buy tickets -- all with your phone.
We succeeded -- and then some!
As more people discovered the campaign, thousands of new voices began discussing the VMFA via web sites, blogs, flickr, twitter and in traditional media. There were over 500 blog mentions since the start of the campaign.
92% of the web mentions are from new sources since the start of the campaign.
The museum ended up surpassing its original goal of 200,000 tickets, selling over 229,000
- IPG Hosts Women’s Breakfast at CES - Published on 01/23/2018
- Deutsch and Taco Bell Launch Web of Fries - Published on 01/23/2018
- McCann Romania Promotes Blood Donations - Published on 01/23/2018
- MullenLowe and Boppy Launch #NeverNotAMom - Published on 01/19/2018
- McCann XBC and Mastercard 'Start Something Priceless' - Published on 01/19/2018
- MullenLowe Launches Work for New Subaru Model - Published on 01/18/2018
- FCB/Six Creates Tool for LGBTQ+ Travelers - Published on 01/18/2018
- DeVries Global and Zippo celebrate the Brand’s 86 years as an Unconventional Canvas - Published on 01/18/2018
- View the charity: water Journey - Published on 01/11/2018
- FCB New Zealand Stresses Importance of Smoke Alarms - Published on 01/11/2018