Doritos Locos Tacos
Over the past decade, Taco Bell has launched more than 100 products, yet so many new product introductions had become just noise and consumers barely noticed anymore. Our challenge was to make consumers care about the 101st new product. The Doritos Locos Taco, a crunchy taco in a shell made from real Nacho Cheese Doritos.
This product got people talking, tweeting, posting, and sharing long before they’d even tried it. Rather than create a traditional campaign, we built a platform to let those already excited about it be heard all over the world. The more consumer stories we shared, the more hysteria we created. We began with a Twitter promotion rewarding the hometown of the winner with Doritos Locos Tacos before they were available in-store. We developed a mobile app, activated through packaging, which streamed live tweets via augmented reality and unlocked exclusive content. Tweets were also streamed on billboards in Times Square and Hollywood.
The main forum of conversation for our millennial consumer target was in the social space through Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. The stage we created to surround the consumer and share the hysteria gained us social credit for being part of a genuine experience. Leveraging this social media platform allowed us to become relevant, real, and engaging to our target and sell millions upon millions of Doritos Locos Tacos. By turning the camera on consumers, allowing their voices to be heard, we showed them that our Brand is listening.
After the first 10 weeks, more than 100 Million Doritos Locos Tacos were sold…and Taco Bell broke 50-year-old sales records.
- IPG Hosts Women’s Breakfast at CES - Published on 01/23/2018
- Deutsch and Taco Bell Launch Web of Fries - Published on 01/23/2018
- McCann Romania Promotes Blood Donations - Published on 01/23/2018
- MullenLowe and Boppy Launch #NeverNotAMom - Published on 01/19/2018
- McCann XBC and Mastercard 'Start Something Priceless' - Published on 01/19/2018
- MullenLowe Launches Work for New Subaru Model - Published on 01/18/2018
- FCB/Six Creates Tool for LGBTQ+ Travelers - Published on 01/18/2018
- DeVries Global and Zippo celebrate the Brand’s 86 years as an Unconventional Canvas - Published on 01/18/2018
- View the charity: water Journey - Published on 01/11/2018
- FCB New Zealand Stresses Importance of Smoke Alarms - Published on 01/11/2018