Bringing the Human Element to Life at Dow
Background and Objective
In 2006, The Dow Chemical Company announced its sustainability goals, including a commitment to achieve breakthroughs in the areas of sustainable water supplies, adequate food supplies, decent housing and personal health and safety by 2015. The goals became the foundation for Dow’s “Human Element” advertising and PR campaign, a key aspect of the company’s overall efforts to build its reputation. The campaign was centered on the concept that the missing element of the Periodic Table is the Human Element, which when applied to chemistry, can help solve the world’s most pressing problems. The company understood that the credibility and success of the Human Element campaign would depend in large part on active engagement from its employees around the world.
Dow aimed to align employees with the new brand positioning, build employee pride and commitment to Dow and motivate employees to live the promise behind the Human Element.
Working with Dow’s employee communications team, we designed an internal communications program featuring Dow employees – “I am the Human Element” – to educate Dow people about the Human Element campaign and the sustainability goals upon which it is built, as well as the importance of reputation in achieving Dow’s vision. The program has elevated employee pride by showing that everyone at Dow has the power to represent the Human Element in action each and every day.
The “I am the Human Element” campaign was extremely successful and embraced by Dow employees. Employees from around the world have been recognized and celebrated. Due to the success of the global series, the program has expanded to recognize employees at local, regional and business unit levels who embody the spirit of the Human Element at Dow.
- McCann Lima Encourages Sex Education in Peru - Published on 05/23/2017
- FCB and Hansaplast Create Bandage That Helps Heal Emotional Wounds - Published on 05/21/2017
- SociedAD and Milk PEP Showcase the Role of Moms - Published on 05/18/2017
- FCB Brasil and Estadão Show the Costs of Corruption - Published on 05/16/2017
- WLN NY Hosts 'Getting to 50/50: A Conversation on What it Will Take' - Published on 05/15/2017
- McCann Prague and Bata Support Women’s Empowerment - Published on 05/12/2017
- Mullen Lintas Bangalore and Tata Tea Fight Student Depression and Suicide - Published on 05/09/2017
- The Martin Agency Creates ‘Humvent’ Calendar for Sabra and National Hummus Day - Published on 05/09/2017
- Hill Holliday Shows How Serena Williams is ‘Powered by Tempur-Pedic’ - Published on 05/08/2017
- MRM//McCann Spain and Santander Bank Show That Life Goes Beyond Money - Published on 05/05/2017