Bringing the Human Element to Life at Dow
Background and Objective
In 2006, The Dow Chemical Company announced its sustainability goals, including a commitment to achieve breakthroughs in the areas of sustainable water supplies, adequate food supplies, decent housing and personal health and safety by 2015. The goals became the foundation for Dow’s “Human Element” advertising and PR campaign, a key aspect of the company’s overall efforts to build its reputation. The campaign was centered on the concept that the missing element of the Periodic Table is the Human Element, which when applied to chemistry, can help solve the world’s most pressing problems. The company understood that the credibility and success of the Human Element campaign would depend in large part on active engagement from its employees around the world.
Dow aimed to align employees with the new brand positioning, build employee pride and commitment to Dow and motivate employees to live the promise behind the Human Element.
Working with Dow’s employee communications team, we designed an internal communications program featuring Dow employees – “I am the Human Element” – to educate Dow people about the Human Element campaign and the sustainability goals upon which it is built, as well as the importance of reputation in achieving Dow’s vision. The program has elevated employee pride by showing that everyone at Dow has the power to represent the Human Element in action each and every day.
The “I am the Human Element” campaign was extremely successful and embraced by Dow employees. Employees from around the world have been recognized and celebrated. Due to the success of the global series, the program has expanded to recognize employees at local, regional and business unit levels who embody the spirit of the Human Element at Dow.
- Mastercard New Zealand and McCann Sydney Launch ‘Tap for your town to play Richie’ - Published on 08/11/2017
- FCB Launches New Ad Council Campaign on Smokey Bear’s Birthday - Published on 08/10/2017
- Jack Morton and Charmin Bring On-Demand Bathrooms to NYC - Published on 08/10/2017
- IPG Mediabrands Creates Future Academy - Published on 08/08/2017
- McCann NY and New York Lottery Ask, ‘How Would You Spend it?’ - Published on 08/08/2017
- IPG Presents the 2017 Inclusion Awards - Published on 08/04/2017
- Hill Holliday Launches Ad Council Campaign About New Lung Cancer Screening - Published on 08/01/2017
- IPG and CMG Host Green Day Event - Published on 08/01/2017
- Carmichael Lynch Shows How Jack Link’s ‘Beats the Snack out of Other Snacks' - Published on 07/31/2017
- FCB Health and Teva Women's Health Launch 'No B.S.' Campaign - Published on 07/26/2017