Bringing the Human Element to Life at Dow
Background and Objective
In 2006, The Dow Chemical Company announced its sustainability goals, including a commitment to achieve breakthroughs in the areas of sustainable water supplies, adequate food supplies, decent housing and personal health and safety by 2015. The goals became the foundation for Dow’s “Human Element” advertising and PR campaign, a key aspect of the company’s overall efforts to build its reputation. The campaign was centered on the concept that the missing element of the Periodic Table is the Human Element, which when applied to chemistry, can help solve the world’s most pressing problems. The company understood that the credibility and success of the Human Element campaign would depend in large part on active engagement from its employees around the world.
Dow aimed to align employees with the new brand positioning, build employee pride and commitment to Dow and motivate employees to live the promise behind the Human Element.
Working with Dow’s employee communications team, we designed an internal communications program featuring Dow employees – “I am the Human Element” – to educate Dow people about the Human Element campaign and the sustainability goals upon which it is built, as well as the importance of reputation in achieving Dow’s vision. The program has elevated employee pride by showing that everyone at Dow has the power to represent the Human Element in action each and every day.
The “I am the Human Element” campaign was extremely successful and embraced by Dow employees. Employees from around the world have been recognized and celebrated. Due to the success of the global series, the program has expanded to recognize employees at local, regional and business unit levels who embody the spirit of the Human Element at Dow.
- Cheese Board Challenge Lifts Sales and Improves Distribution in a Disorderly Deli - Published on 03/28/2017
- IPG Summit on Black Women in Advertising Draws Record Crowds, Trends Number 2 on Twitter - Published on 03/28/2017
- National Painting Week Inspires Care for Communities - Published on 03/28/2017
- IPG Hosts World Water Day Program - Published on 03/23/2017
- McCann Global Health Awarded National Sanitation Campaign in Tanzania - Published on 03/22/2017
- Carmichael Lynch and Evereve Redefine "Dress Like A Mom" - Published on 03/21/2017
- Coolin' Down With Sasquatch And Tituss Burgess - Published on 03/21/2017
- FCB Chicago and Radio Flyer Create Kids’ Travel Agency - Published on 03/21/2017
- IPG And The ADVERTISING Club of New York Host First-Ever Summit on Black Women in Advertising - Published on 03/21/2017
- LOLA MullenLowe and Magnum Celebrate Diversity, Pleasure and Acceptance - Published on 03/20/2017