McCann Health and Shatterproof Are Rewriting the Narrative Around Addiction
Today, Americans are more likely to die from an opioid overdose than a car accident, and rates of overdose death increased 300% in New York City within 5 years. Despite these staggering numbers, addiction is often viewed as a moral failure by those impacted, rather than a medical condition that changes the brain.
At some point in our lives, we’ve all felt the sting of stigma, being on the receiving end of sharp words that cut us down or behavior that leads us to question our value. For those who struggle with opioid misuse, judgment about their addiction can erode the very self-respect they need to battle their illness and begin recovery.
McCann Health has launched a public awareness campaign to start to rewrite the narrative around addiction. The client is Shatterproof, a not-for-profit dedicated to ending the devastation addiction causes to families. The campaign – “Hope Stems” – uses flowers in a unique and powerful way to reveal the truth about opioid addiction. Hope stems from treating opioid addiction as a brain disease, not a weakness. Hope stems from compassion. Hope stems from treatment, not judgment.
What’s the goal of Hope Stems? Hope Stems is a national initiative launched by Gary Mendell, CEO of Shatterproof, who lost his son to opioid addiction. Gary hopes to reduce the stigma of opioid addiction and fight the myth that it is a moral weakness by educating how the brain is consumed by opioids.
Why flowers? Timed to coincide with the Macy’s Flower Show, the work is inspired by florists who despair at making funeral bouquets for the 130 Americans who die each day from overdose.
The exhibit will be open to the public in New York’s Herald Square from April 2, 2019 – April 4, 2019. Check out the full campaign story at hopestems.org.
- Cadreon Hosts Mental Health & Wellness Event - Published on 05/23/2019
- R/GA Buenos Aires and Nike Argentina Inspire New Generation of Athletes - Published on 05/22/2019
- McCann Europe and MRM//McCann Frankfurt Create Alexa Skill for Those with Alzheimer’s - Published on 05/20/2019
- FCB/RED and Bud Light Celebrate Pride - Published on 05/16/2019
- MullenLowe Singapore and Signia Bring Attention to Hearing Loss - Published on 05/07/2019
- FCB Mexico and Ayudín Focus on Equality in New Campaign - Published on 05/03/2019
- Rapport Creates Environmentally-Friendly Billboards for Earth Day - Published on 05/02/2019
- Mullen Lowe and Burger King Launch Campaign Around ‘Real Meals’ - Published on 05/02/2019
- Jack Morton and Chevrolet Empower Girls through Sport - Published on 04/25/2019
- FCB Chicago Creates Conversation About Gun Violence - Published on 04/23/2019