Bringing the Human Element to Life at Dow
Background and Objective
In 2006, The Dow Chemical Company announced its sustainability goals, including a commitment to achieve breakthroughs in the areas of sustainable water supplies, adequate food supplies, decent housing and personal health and safety by 2015. The goals became the foundation for Dow’s “Human Element” advertising and PR campaign, a key aspect of the company’s overall efforts to build its reputation. The campaign was centered on the concept that the missing element of the Periodic Table is the Human Element, which when applied to chemistry, can help solve the world’s most pressing problems. The company understood that the credibility and success of the Human Element campaign would depend in large part on active engagement from its employees around the world.
Dow aimed to align employees with the new brand positioning, build employee pride and commitment to Dow and motivate employees to live the promise behind the Human Element.
Working with Dow’s employee communications team, we designed an internal communications program featuring Dow employees – “I am the Human Element” – to educate Dow people about the Human Element campaign and the sustainability goals upon which it is built, as well as the importance of reputation in achieving Dow’s vision. The program has elevated employee pride by showing that everyone at Dow has the power to represent the Human Element in action each and every day.
The “I am the Human Element” campaign was extremely successful and embraced by Dow employees. Employees from around the world have been recognized and celebrated. Due to the success of the global series, the program has expanded to recognize employees at local, regional and business unit levels who embody the spirit of the Human Element at Dow.
- DeVries and Zippo Launch Campaign to Combat Wildfire - Published on 08/09/2019
- FITZCO Partners with French’s and Coolhaus on Mustard Ice Cream for National Mustard Day - Published on 08/07/2019
- The Martin Agency Receives Inclusion Award for Outstanding Business Results - Published on 08/06/2019
- Golin’s ‘Have Her Back’ Receives Inclusive Talent Initiatives Award - Published on 08/06/2019
- FCB Health’s Sabrina Prince Recognized with Inclusive Leadership Award - Published on 08/06/2019
- Jack Morton Worldwide Recognized at Inclusion Awards for Community Impact - Published on 08/02/2019
- MRM//McCANN Recognized with Agency Inclusion Vanguard Award - Published on 08/02/2019
- McCann’s ‘Reindeer Games’ Recognized With Two Honors at the 2019 IPG Inclusion Awards - Published on 08/02/2019
- Golin’s Amaya Adams Recognized as Inclusion Ally of the Year - Published on 08/01/2019
- FCB New Zealand Recognized for Inclusion Campaign of the Year - Published on 08/01/2019