Bringing the Human Element to Life at Dow
Background and Objective
In 2006, The Dow Chemical Company announced its sustainability goals, including a commitment to achieve breakthroughs in the areas of sustainable water supplies, adequate food supplies, decent housing and personal health and safety by 2015. The goals became the foundation for Dow’s “Human Element” advertising and PR campaign, a key aspect of the company’s overall efforts to build its reputation. The campaign was centered on the concept that the missing element of the Periodic Table is the Human Element, which when applied to chemistry, can help solve the world’s most pressing problems. The company understood that the credibility and success of the Human Element campaign would depend in large part on active engagement from its employees around the world.
Dow aimed to align employees with the new brand positioning, build employee pride and commitment to Dow and motivate employees to live the promise behind the Human Element.
Working with Dow’s employee communications team, we designed an internal communications program featuring Dow employees – “I am the Human Element” – to educate Dow people about the Human Element campaign and the sustainability goals upon which it is built, as well as the importance of reputation in achieving Dow’s vision. The program has elevated employee pride by showing that everyone at Dow has the power to represent the Human Element in action each and every day.
The “I am the Human Element” campaign was extremely successful and embraced by Dow employees. Employees from around the world have been recognized and celebrated. Due to the success of the global series, the program has expanded to recognize employees at local, regional and business unit levels who embody the spirit of the Human Element at Dow.
- Lisa Murray Appointed National Chair of IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network - Published on 12/12/2018
- IPG Mediabrands Works with SF SPCA - Published on 12/11/2018
- IPG to Host National Day of Understanding Focused on Issues of Race, Ethnicity and Inclusion - Published on 12/06/2018
- LOLA MullenLowe Brings Awareness to Child Abuse - Published on 11/29/2018
- IPG Brings Clean Water to Ethiopia - Published on 11/27/2018
- The Martin Agency and JFK Library Foundation Launch @JohnFKennedy - Published on 11/20/2018
- The Martin Agency and Land O’Lakes Thank Veterans for Their Service - Published on 11/15/2018
- R/GA Releases New Short Film for Love Has No Labels - Published on 11/14/2018
- IPG Leaders Participate in 3 % Conference - Published on 11/13/2018
- MullenLowe Open and Etihad Airways Create ‘Travel for Good’ Ramadan campaign - Published on 11/12/2018