R/GA and Samsung Launch New TV with One Billion Colors
Samsung’s newest high-end television, the QLED, is capable of displaying one billion colors, but standard production practices are not advanced enough to display this range of pantones. To launch the new set, R/GA New York built propriety technology to create the world’s first piece of film capable of displaying one billion colors, showcasing the visual potential of the ground-breaking QLED TV.
The first challenge was how to count and verify that the film contained one billion colors. Current technologies aren’t capable of counting colors, so R/GA data scientists, technologists and color experts created an algorithm that could analyze every frame to count the unique color values. Using RGB values as vector points, the team plotted every color value within a 3D space to create a “fingerprint” of the film’s colors.
After shooting the film, the team faced a second challenge. As videos go through the post-production process, rounds of file compression actually remove color information and narrow the range of colors in the content. Upon seeing which colors had been lost, the team modified the algorithm to restore the missing colors and increase the film’s dynamic color range to use every one of the colors the QLED could display.
The Billion Color Film is a high-speed journey through Paris from the point of view of a ray of light as it races through the city at dawn. The film explores the relationship between light and color as a demonstration of the Quantum Dot process.
- The Martin Agency and Land O’Lakes Thank Veterans for Their Service - Published on 11/15/2018
- R/GA Releases New Short Film for Love Has No Labels - Published on 11/14/2018
- IPG Leaders Participate in 3 % Conference - Published on 11/13/2018
- MullenLowe Open and Etihad Airways Create ‘Travel for Good’ Ramadan campaign - Published on 11/12/2018
- Hill Holliday Works with Kay Jewelers to Immortalize Love - Published on 11/09/2018
- FCB West and Levi’s: ‘Use Your Vote” - Published on 11/08/2018
- FCB Canada and CDSS: 'Endangered Syndrome' - Published on 11/07/2018
- Massholes Not Assholes - Published on 11/06/2018
- Carmichael Lynch and Carmichael Lynch Relate Take Action for Election Day - Published on 11/02/2018
- Acxiom Is a Leader in the Ethical Use of Data - Published on 11/02/2018