Writing a New Story for Surfacing
For generations, Formica Corporation was known for its durable, high-pressure laminate kitchen countertops. But after more than 100 years in business, the company had a new story to tell with Formica® Writable Surfaces, six chalkboard and markerboard designs made to be written on and wiped clean on vertical and horizontal surfaces throughout the home. Our challenge: Launch Formica® Writable Surfaces as an on-trend solution for any room in the home.
Think beyond the kitchen and traditional surfaces by demonstrating how Formica® Writable Surfaces can unlock creativity in any room, from bedroom walls to tabletops, desktops, cabinet fronts and more.
By launching the product at the Kitchen & Bath Industry Show, one of the industry’s biggest tradeshows, attendees and media saw firsthand how the Formica® Writable Surfaces designs could be used. The ColorBook markerboard design illustrated the coloring book trend with floral lines to fill in, erase and color again. The ImagiGrid design offered a practical grid for creating lists and schedules. The LoveWords design featured words such as “family” and “cozy” as a backdrop for writing personalized expressions.
Influencer marketing: We engaged with up-and-coming food influencer ChelSweets and organizing aficionado Organizing Made Fun to share their own Formica® Writable Surfaces experiences. ChelSweets created a video of her unicorn cake made on a table featuring the ImagiGrid design, and Organizing Made Fun created a refreshed home command center featuring the ColorBook and ChalkAble™ designs.
Media relations: Through our outreach, Formica® Writable Surfaces captured the attention of influential home and shelter editors across the nation. As a result of our relationships, HGTV’s “The Property Brothers: Buying + Selling” fourth season incorporated the new products into an episode, which garnered more than 1.3 million impressions.
Within the first year, we garnered more than 250 million media impressions and 170 placements for Formica® Writable Surfaces. Feature placements including The Associated Press, USA Today Home, The DIY Network and Better Homes & Gardens. Our influencer program garnered more than 1 million impressions. In addition, ChelSweets’ video is one of her most viewed to date.
- McCann Raises Awareness for Organ Donation - Published on 04/18/2019
- #ThisIsParenthood - Published on 04/16/2019
- The Brookly Brothers and Íslenska Launch Buddy Hotline - Published on 04/10/2019
- The Martin Agency and GEICO Use ‘Smartdogs’ For Safer Driving - Published on 04/09/2019
- McCann Germany and L’Oréal Paris Launch Female Empowerment Campaign - Published on 04/09/2019
- Stickyeyes and Hertz Work to Inspire Audiences - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann, L’Oreal Paris and British Vogue Smash Preconceptions About Aging with ‘The Non-Issue’ - Published on 04/05/2019
- FCB New York Marks Smokey Bear’s 75th Anniversary with New Campaign - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann Health and Shatterproof Are Rewriting the Narrative Around Addiction - Published on 04/04/2019
- Stickyeyes and LG Create Digital Awareness Campaigns to Promote Activision Titles - Published on 04/04/2019