LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King – ‘Come as a Clown, Eat Like a King’
To take advantage of the clown being reborn as one of the scariest characters in mainstream culture, and Burger King’s ongoing teasing of its competition, LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King devised a cheeky and bold stunt to raise Burger King’s profile and drive traffic into its restaurants. All over the world, people were invited to ‘Come as a clown, eat like a king’ and Burger King would give away a free whopper to anyone who came to its restaurants dressed as a clown on Halloween night.
The invitation came on October 24th in the form of a video that was full of classic horror movie references, powerful visuals and the presence of a familiar face. Following the video, other PR and digital executions came: a press release; posts and videos especially made for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; posters and a special wrap for in-restaurant activation.
When the campaign launched, the clowns came out to play and the idea took on a life of its own. More than 110,000 people from 35 countries ventured into over 1,500 Burger King restaurants on Halloween night dressed as clowns to claim their free whopper. Global sales increased up to 15%, restaurant traffic increased up to 21% and the campaign earned over 2.1 billion impressions worldwide. #ScaryClownNight was mentioned in more than 1100 articles in 40 countries reaching 2.1 billion earned impressions and a total media value of USD 22.4 million making it one of the most successful campaigns in Burger King’s history.
Scary Clown Night has picked up numerous awards globally, including Gold at the 2018 ANDY Awards, two pencils at D&AD 2018 and 17 awards at the 2018 El Sol Awards, including the festivals most prestigious prize, the Platinum Sun. Additionally, the campaign took home three gold, one silver and two bronze Lions at the 2018 Cannes International Festival of Creativity.
- Lisa Murray Appointed National Chair of IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network - Published on 12/12/2018
- IPG Mediabrands Works with SF SPCA - Published on 12/11/2018
- IPG to Host National Day of Understanding Focused on Issues of Race, Ethnicity and Inclusion - Published on 12/06/2018
- LOLA MullenLowe Brings Awareness to Child Abuse - Published on 11/29/2018
- IPG Brings Clean Water to Ethiopia - Published on 11/27/2018
- The Martin Agency and JFK Library Foundation Launch @JohnFKennedy - Published on 11/20/2018
- The Martin Agency and Land O’Lakes Thank Veterans for Their Service - Published on 11/15/2018
- R/GA Releases New Short Film for Love Has No Labels - Published on 11/14/2018
- IPG Leaders Participate in 3 % Conference - Published on 11/13/2018
- MullenLowe Open and Etihad Airways Create ‘Travel for Good’ Ramadan campaign - Published on 11/12/2018