LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King – ‘Come as a Clown, Eat Like a King’
To take advantage of the clown being reborn as one of the scariest characters in mainstream culture, and Burger King’s ongoing teasing of its competition, LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King devised a cheeky and bold stunt to raise Burger King’s profile and drive traffic into its restaurants. All over the world, people were invited to ‘Come as a clown, eat like a king’ and Burger King would give away a free whopper to anyone who came to its restaurants dressed as a clown on Halloween night.
The invitation came on October 24th in the form of a video that was full of classic horror movie references, powerful visuals and the presence of a familiar face. Following the video, other PR and digital executions came: a press release; posts and videos especially made for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; posters and a special wrap for in-restaurant activation.
When the campaign launched, the clowns came out to play and the idea took on a life of its own. More than 110,000 people from 35 countries ventured into over 1,500 Burger King restaurants on Halloween night dressed as clowns to claim their free whopper. Global sales increased up to 15%, restaurant traffic increased up to 21% and the campaign earned over 2.1 billion impressions worldwide. #ScaryClownNight was mentioned in more than 1100 articles in 40 countries reaching 2.1 billion earned impressions and a total media value of USD 22.4 million making it one of the most successful campaigns in Burger King’s history.
Scary Clown Night has picked up numerous awards globally, including Gold at the 2018 ANDY Awards, two pencils at D&AD 2018 and 17 awards at the 2018 El Sol Awards, including the festivals most prestigious prize, the Platinum Sun. Additionally, the campaign took home three gold, one silver and two bronze Lions at the 2018 Cannes International Festival of Creativity.
- EP+Co and Men’s Wearhouse Feature Tan France in Suit Drive - Published on 07/16/2019
- Hill Holliday Supports Celiac Awareness - Published on 07/16/2019
- Weber Shandwick and HSBC UK Launch ‘Deep Fraud’ - Published on 07/15/2019
- Prime Weber Shandwick and Clear Chanel Create the Out Of Home Project - Published on 07/10/2019
- McCann XBC Works with Mastercard on #Acceptance Matters Initiatives - Published on 07/09/2019
- Weber Shandwick and Bud Light Create Victory Fridges - Published on 07/09/2019
- EP+Co and Denny’s Show How Booths Are for Quality Time with Dad - Published on 06/27/2019
- Purpose-Driven Work by McCann Wins Big at Cannes - Published on 06/26/2019
- IPG CISO Team Holds Workshop on Cyber Security for Year Up Students - Published on 06/24/2019
- FCB and GE Give Dads More Time to Hover - Published on 06/24/2019