Checkers & Rally's / Buy Back the Block
Rick Ross buys back his childhood Checkers, fuels a movement.
Checkers & Rally’s is a burger place that serves an ignored section of the community. We wanted to start a movement to lift the community up. Led by a successful neighborhood voice: rap mogul Rick Ross.
His love for the brand started as a kid, and Checkers was the most affordable option. So first, Checkers sold Ross his childhood franchise. Then we partnered with Uproxx Studios to shoot a documentary about his love for Checkers and how it inspired him to buy back his old neighborhood. We released the “Buy Back the Block” film on social, and it blew up with 119 million impressions and 31,000 hours spent watching. Ross fueled the fire with a hit song called "Buy Back The Block," with the story of him buying Checkers built into the lyrics. Our audience couldn’t get enough as the song blew up on social and climbed the charts. And the movement continues, inspiring the community to continue using #BuyBackTheBlock even months later.
The project has won a slew of creative awards including a Silver Cannes Lion in Entertainment for Music, a Bronze Cannes Lion in PR, and a One Show Pencil in the Cultural Driver category: "Work that is the pace car for the future of culture." It also performed well at The Webby Awards, New York Festivals, Food and Beverage Awards, Campaign US’s I&C Disruptors Award, and is selected to be featured in Brand Film Festival. The campaign also scored coverage in The New York Times, BET, Rolling Stone, XXL, Adweek and many more.
- McCann, Kesha and Gun Activists Bring Attention to Vicious Cycle of Gun Violence - Published on 10/19/2018
- IPG Wears Purple to Stand Up Against Bullying - Published on 10/19/2018
- IPGLBT Releases Spirit Day Guide for Bullying Prevention - Published on 10/17/2018
- McCann London Brings Attention to Air Pollution with ‘Toxic Toby’ - Published on 10/17/2018
- The Martin Agency, OpenTable and Virginia Tourism Create Stranger-Pairing Program - Published on 10/16/2018
- BEN Hosts Civility in America Presentation - Published on 10/12/2018
- IPG and Huge Honored by UN Foundation - Published on 10/11/2018
- Orion Hosts Hispanic Heritage Month Program - Published on 10/10/2018
- MullenLowe SSP3 and Aruba Tourism Challenge Stereotypes in Love - Published on 10/09/2018
- Acxiom Provides Unified Data Solutions - Published on 10/09/2018