Checkers & Rally's / Buy Back the Block
Rick Ross buys back his childhood Checkers, fuels a movement.
Checkers & Rally’s is a burger place that serves an ignored section of the community. We wanted to start a movement to lift the community up. Led by a successful neighborhood voice: rap mogul Rick Ross.
His love for the brand started as a kid, and Checkers was the most affordable option. So first, Checkers sold Ross his childhood franchise. Then we partnered with Uproxx Studios to shoot a documentary about his love for Checkers and how it inspired him to buy back his old neighborhood. We released the “Buy Back the Block” film on social, and it blew up with 119 million impressions and 31,000 hours spent watching. Ross fueled the fire with a hit song called "Buy Back The Block," with the story of him buying Checkers built into the lyrics. Our audience couldn’t get enough as the song blew up on social and climbed the charts. And the movement continues, inspiring the community to continue using #BuyBackTheBlock even months later.
The project has won a slew of creative awards including a Silver Cannes Lion in Entertainment for Music, a Bronze Cannes Lion in PR, and a One Show Pencil in the Cultural Driver category: "Work that is the pace car for the future of culture." It also performed well at The Webby Awards, New York Festivals, Food and Beverage Awards, Campaign US’s I&C Disruptors Award, and is selected to be featured in Brand Film Festival. The campaign also scored coverage in The New York Times, BET, Rolling Stone, XXL, Adweek and many more.
- IPG Hosts Ninth Annual Global Breakfast at Cannes Festival of Creativity - Published on 06/19/2019
- IPG Offices Mark Pride Month - Published on 06/18/2019
- 303 MullenLowe Focuses on Mental Health Awareness - Published on 06/18/2019
- New Program Promotes Gender Equality at Acxiom - Published on 06/17/2019
- Deutsch and Heinz Create ‘Smear' Campaign - Published on 06/13/2019
- Michael Roth Honored by the AEF - Published on 06/11/2019
- Deutsch and Taco Bell Launch Daren Criss ‘Movie’ for Return of Nacho Fries - Published on 06/10/2019
- IPG Named to S&P 500 ESG and S&P Global 1200 ESG - Published on 06/10/2019
- IPG Employees Discuss Pride and Mark Stonewall 50th - Published on 06/07/2019
- Cadreon Hosts Mental Health & Wellness Event - Published on 05/23/2019