Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball
From the crack of the bat to the roar of the crowd to the first bite of a hot dog, a Twins game at Target Field is an immersive sensory experience.
Our challenge: Bring the sights, sounds and tastes of a Minnesota Twins game outside of Target Field in a fun, engaging and shareable way, under our creative campaign “This Is How We Baseball.”
Transform the Minneapolis Nicollet Mall, a transit and pedestrian-only thoroughfare, into a miniature baseball diamond, allowing star Twins players to interact with fans at an impromptu, open-to-the public, homerun derby.
Inspired by backyard pickup baseball games, we turned the street into a stadium-like space complete with a scoreboard and bleachers. Nearby offices received bags of peanuts along with invitations to join us on the Mall. The Twins’ social channels also encouraged fans to stop by for free baseball fare (hot dogs, of course) and a swing at greatness with their favorite players.
To secure earned coverage of Mall Ball while maintaining the element of surprise, we sent an embargoed media alert inviting local contacts to take their own at-bat alongside top players and super fans. On the morning of the event, the embargo lifted, allowing TV, radio, print and digital media to share the experience with their audiences.
- 89 million earned media impressions
- 40 placements, including every targeted outlet
- 2,200 spectators took part in Mall Ball and over 40 stepped up to bat
- 1,500 hot dogs, 1,000 bags of chips, 500 Wiffle balls and 100 bags of peanuts distributed
- EP+Co and Men’s Wearhouse Feature Tan France in Suit Drive - Published on 07/16/2019
- Hill Holliday Supports Celiac Awareness - Published on 07/16/2019
- Weber Shandwick and HSBC UK Launch ‘Deep Fraud’ - Published on 07/15/2019
- Prime Weber Shandwick and Clear Chanel Create the Out Of Home Project - Published on 07/10/2019
- McCann XBC Works with Mastercard on #Acceptance Matters Initiatives - Published on 07/09/2019
- Weber Shandwick and Bud Light Create Victory Fridges - Published on 07/09/2019
- EP+Co and Denny’s Show How Booths Are for Quality Time with Dad - Published on 06/27/2019
- Purpose-Driven Work by McCann Wins Big at Cannes - Published on 06/26/2019
- IPG CISO Team Holds Workshop on Cyber Security for Year Up Students - Published on 06/24/2019
- FCB and GE Give Dads More Time to Hover - Published on 06/24/2019