Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball
From the crack of the bat to the roar of the crowd to the first bite of a hot dog, a Twins game at Target Field is an immersive sensory experience.
Our challenge: Bring the sights, sounds and tastes of a Minnesota Twins game outside of Target Field in a fun, engaging and shareable way, under our creative campaign “This Is How We Baseball.”
Transform the Minneapolis Nicollet Mall, a transit and pedestrian-only thoroughfare, into a miniature baseball diamond, allowing star Twins players to interact with fans at an impromptu, open-to-the public, homerun derby.
Inspired by backyard pickup baseball games, we turned the street into a stadium-like space complete with a scoreboard and bleachers. Nearby offices received bags of peanuts along with invitations to join us on the Mall. The Twins’ social channels also encouraged fans to stop by for free baseball fare (hot dogs, of course) and a swing at greatness with their favorite players.
To secure earned coverage of Mall Ball while maintaining the element of surprise, we sent an embargoed media alert inviting local contacts to take their own at-bat alongside top players and super fans. On the morning of the event, the embargo lifted, allowing TV, radio, print and digital media to share the experience with their audiences.
- 89 million earned media impressions
- 40 placements, including every targeted outlet
- 2,200 spectators took part in Mall Ball and over 40 stepped up to bat
- 1,500 hot dogs, 1,000 bags of chips, 500 Wiffle balls and 100 bags of peanuts distributed
- MullenLowe London Creates Campaign for Winston Fletcher Fiction Prize - Published on 02/14/2019
- The Martin Agency and Oreo Launch New Work with Wiz Khalifa - Published on 02/13/2019
- Deutsch Works with Me Too on New Campaign - Published on 02/08/2019
- McCann Shanghai and Coca-Cola Launch Annual Chinese New Year Campaign - Published on 02/06/2019
- Michael Roth Accepts the BRT Sustainability Challenge - Published on 02/04/2019
- Weber Shandwick and Stella Artois Partner Again with Water.org In Super Bowl Spot - Published on 02/01/2019
- FCB Canada Develops Campaign for PTSD Sufferers - Published on 01/31/2019
- MullenLowe London Brings Attention to Child Sexual Abuse - Published on 01/17/2019
- Helping Disappointed U.S. Soccer Fans Find a New Fandom - Published on 01/14/2019
- Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball - Published on 01/14/2019