One of McDonald’s most iconic menu items, the Big Mac, celebrated its 50th Anniversary creating an opportunity for the brand to reignite love for the Big Mac. Since its invention, the Big Mac has traversed the globe and has become so ubiquitous that The Economist even uses the Big Mac as an international measure of global currency. Understanding the global nature of the Big Mac, Golin knew something big had to be done in order to properly celebrate the iconic sandwich on its golden anniversary.
To get media and consumers talking about the 50th anniversary of the Big Mac and taking inspiration from key insights, Golin set out to help McDonald’s create the world’s first fully food-backed currency – MacCoin – a limited edition global currency* backed by the internationally iconic Big Mac itself. This summer, Big Mac fans in more than 50 participating countries around the world could get their hands on one of the 6.2 million MacCoins – available in five designs, each representing a decade of the Big Mac – to be shared, collected or redeemed for a free Big Mac at McDonald’s restaurants in participating countries all around the globe.
Ready to put this experience to work for your brand? Get in touch with us.
*MacCoin has no cash value and was only redeemable for one free Big Mac at participating McDonald’s restaurants during the time of the promotion.
- McCann Europe and MRM//McCann Frankfurt Create Alexa Skill for Those with Alzheimer’s - Published on 05/20/2019
- FCB/RED and Bud Light Celebrate Pride - Published on 05/16/2019
- Neon Uses Cheesy Ads for Recruitment - Published on 05/13/2019
- McCann and Mastercard Showcase Unity through Sport - Published on 05/09/2019
- MullenLowe Singapore and Signia Bring Attention to Hearing Loss - Published on 05/07/2019
- FCB Mexico and Ayudín Focus on Equality in New Campaign - Published on 05/03/2019
- Rapport Creates Environmentally-Friendly Billboards for Earth Day - Published on 05/02/2019
- Mullen Lowe and Burger King Launch Campaign Around ‘Real Meals’ - Published on 05/02/2019
- Jack Morton and Chevrolet Empower Girls through Sport - Published on 04/25/2019
- FCB Chicago Creates Conversation About Gun Violence - Published on 04/23/2019