Celebrating Oreo's 100th Birthday in a Flash!
FCBX embraced Oreo's mission to bring childlike wonder to consumers in celebration of its 100th birthday by throwing seven "flash birthday parties" in seven cities simultaneously on March 6, 2012.
Flash Birthday Parties Re-introduce Childlike Delight
The Oreo brand is the world’s top selling cookie, enjoyed in more than 100 countries. The iconic “twist, lick, dunk” ritual brings out the child in all of us. In 2012, Oreo set out to celebrate its 100th birthday, inviting people to join the party and raise a celebratory glass…of milk, that is!
Knowing that people of all ages crave a chance to slow down and regain a feeling of childhood, Oreo had a mission to celebrate the spirit of childhood by making one million moments of youthful delight happen globally and asked consumers to submit their moments online.
DFCBX embraced Oreo’s mission to bring childlike wonder to consumers in celebration of its 100th birthday by throwing seven “flash birthday parties” in seven cities, on March 6, the date of Oreo’s introduction 100 years ago. We focused on high-traffic business districts, reaching those in the greatest need of a spontaneous Oreo Moment—busy professionals who have lost touch with their inner child.
We teased passersby on their morning commute with the one thing no inner child can resist, a giant 6’x6’ birthday present! The present featured a “gift tag” inviting passersby to join and release their inner child at 12pm sharp. By noon, the streets were buzzing with curiosity and excitement, when the birthday present launched party streamers 40 feet into the air followed by a Happy Birthday flash mob party. Capping off festivities at our marquee event, a live performance from Lady Antebellum.
In just 14 hours, across seven US cities, 23,400+ live attendees stopped their day to twist, lick, dunk and experience childhood delight. All 36,000 Oreo cookie samples were distributed. 21,000 Oreo branded party favors were shared, and 450+ Oreo branded digital pictures were posted on the Oreo Moments Gallery.
Combined with the teaser PR campaign and digital/social outreach, Oreo’s birthday kickoff events generated more than 600 million media impressions in the US alone. The campaign lives on through 2012, fueled by a powerful start from the Oreo 100th Birthday Celebration in March.
- MullenLowe London Creates Campaign for Winston Fletcher Fiction Prize - Published on 02/14/2019
- The Martin Agency and Oreo Launch New Work with Wiz Khalifa - Published on 02/13/2019
- Deutsch Works with Me Too on New Campaign - Published on 02/08/2019
- McCann Shanghai and Coca-Cola Launch Annual Chinese New Year Campaign - Published on 02/06/2019
- Michael Roth Accepts the BRT Sustainability Challenge - Published on 02/04/2019
- Weber Shandwick and Stella Artois Partner Again with Water.org In Super Bowl Spot - Published on 02/01/2019
- FCB Canada Develops Campaign for PTSD Sufferers - Published on 01/31/2019
- MullenLowe London Brings Attention to Child Sexual Abuse - Published on 01/17/2019
- Helping Disappointed U.S. Soccer Fans Find a New Fandom - Published on 01/14/2019
- Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball - Published on 01/14/2019