Previously seen as a late night brand, Taco Bell sought to expand their offering to breakfast in 2014. Entering one of the most competitive and crowded QSR categories -- breakfast, Taco Bell not only needed to drive awareness of its new menu, but also had to stand out against an existing group of players in the category, all offering almost the same thing. Taco Bell’s goal? To make breakfast a two horse race.
With this goal in mind, Taco Bell went head-to-head with the #1 fast food breakfast provider – McDonalds, and hijacked the most famous name in fast food – Ronald McDonald. In a provocative marketing campaign that employed around 30 real-life Ronald McDonalds advocating for Taco Bell Breakfast, the brand was able to break onto the breakfast scene in a big way.
Starting with an initial launch video, several TV spots, a behind-the-scenes video and more than 100 personalized social media response videos, Taco Bell was able to gain awareness and consideration in an impactful way.
The response was phenomenal. More than 2000 different news outlets picked up the launch, calling it a “Fast Food War.”
Within hours, it became the top trending topic on Twitter, Facebook and Google Trends, with almost 125,000 tweets on launch day, and over two million YouTube views on the launch video alone. This resulted in over 3 billion media impressions in first 48 hours.
In a matter of days, what was once a crowded category became a two-horse race, setting an all time sales record for franchisees.
The campaign won a total of five Cannes Lions and one CLIO award.
- DeVries and Zippo Launch Campaign to Combat Wildfire - Published on 08/09/2019
- FITZCO Partners with French’s and Coolhaus on Mustard Ice Cream for National Mustard Day - Published on 08/07/2019
- The Martin Agency Receives Inclusion Award for Outstanding Business Results - Published on 08/06/2019
- Golin’s ‘Have Her Back’ Receives Inclusive Talent Initiatives Award - Published on 08/06/2019
- FCB Health’s Sabrina Prince Recognized with Inclusive Leadership Award - Published on 08/06/2019
- Jack Morton Worldwide Recognized at Inclusion Awards for Community Impact - Published on 08/02/2019
- MRM//McCANN Recognized with Agency Inclusion Vanguard Award - Published on 08/02/2019
- McCann’s ‘Reindeer Games’ Recognized With Two Honors at the 2019 IPG Inclusion Awards - Published on 08/02/2019
- Golin’s Amaya Adams Recognized as Inclusion Ally of the Year - Published on 08/01/2019
- FCB New Zealand Recognized for Inclusion Campaign of the Year - Published on 08/01/2019