New product development is crucial to Unilever’s sales. 2010 saw Magnum’s biggest ever new product launch in terms of geography (29 countries), media spend and commercial objectives: to sell 75 million Magnum Gold ice cream sticks worldwide.
Magnum’s communication recipe had become outdated as the competition had followed suit. Indulgent food category communication codes were abundant with sexual innuendos that were no longer working. Above all, our target market wanted to be surprised.
So we reinvented the game, launching our most innovative campaign in years with Magnum Gold! The first ever golden ice cream on a stick. Launched in the style of an action movie trailer, set around a great robbery with Benicio Del Toro and his glamorous partner attempting to uncover a staggering 75 million pieces of gold. The fully integrated global campaign ran across TV, cinema, outdoor, online, PR and in store.
130 million sticks sold, +73% ahead of target. Turnover increased by 90 million year on year, +12%. Universal trailer was seen online by over 1.9 million people (129% vs plan). The website received over 3.8 million visits. Over 2 million people globally entered the competition to make a video heist film with Benicio Del Toro.
- IPG Offices Mark Pride Month - Published on 06/18/2019
- 303 MullenLowe Focuses on Mental Health Awareness - Published on 06/18/2019
- New Program Promotes Gender Equality at Acxiom - Published on 06/17/2019
- Deutsch and Heinz Create ‘Smear' Campaign - Published on 06/13/2019
- Michael Roth Honored by the AEF - Published on 06/11/2019
- Deutsch and Taco Bell Launch Daren Criss ‘Movie’ for Return of Nacho Fries - Published on 06/10/2019
- IPG Named to S&P 500 ESG and S&P Global 1200 ESG - Published on 06/10/2019
- IPG Employees Discuss Pride and Mark Stonewall 50th - Published on 06/07/2019
- Cadreon Hosts Mental Health & Wellness Event - Published on 05/23/2019
- R/GA Buenos Aires and Nike Argentina Inspire New Generation of Athletes - Published on 05/22/2019