New product development is crucial to Unilever’s sales. 2010 saw Magnum’s biggest ever new product launch in terms of geography (29 countries), media spend and commercial objectives: to sell 75 million Magnum Gold ice cream sticks worldwide.
Magnum’s communication recipe had become outdated as the competition had followed suit. Indulgent food category communication codes were abundant with sexual innuendos that were no longer working. Above all, our target market wanted to be surprised.
So we reinvented the game, launching our most innovative campaign in years with Magnum Gold! The first ever golden ice cream on a stick. Launched in the style of an action movie trailer, set around a great robbery with Benicio Del Toro and his glamorous partner attempting to uncover a staggering 75 million pieces of gold. The fully integrated global campaign ran across TV, cinema, outdoor, online, PR and in store.
130 million sticks sold, +73% ahead of target. Turnover increased by 90 million year on year, +12%. Universal trailer was seen online by over 1.9 million people (129% vs plan). The website received over 3.8 million visits. Over 2 million people globally entered the competition to make a video heist film with Benicio Del Toro.
- DeVries and Zippo Launch Campaign to Combat Wildfire - Published on 08/09/2019
- FITZCO Partners with French’s and Coolhaus on Mustard Ice Cream for National Mustard Day - Published on 08/07/2019
- The Martin Agency Receives Inclusion Award for Outstanding Business Results - Published on 08/06/2019
- Golin’s ‘Have Her Back’ Receives Inclusive Talent Initiatives Award - Published on 08/06/2019
- FCB Health’s Sabrina Prince Recognized with Inclusive Leadership Award - Published on 08/06/2019
- Jack Morton Worldwide Recognized at Inclusion Awards for Community Impact - Published on 08/02/2019
- MRM//McCANN Recognized with Agency Inclusion Vanguard Award - Published on 08/02/2019
- McCann’s ‘Reindeer Games’ Recognized With Two Honors at the 2019 IPG Inclusion Awards - Published on 08/02/2019
- Golin’s Amaya Adams Recognized as Inclusion Ally of the Year - Published on 08/01/2019
- FCB New Zealand Recognized for Inclusion Campaign of the Year - Published on 08/01/2019