Play Online. Shoot Offline– Lidl Fan Cup
Lidl, the leading grocery retailer in Europe, wanted to advertise their own brands in an innovative way during the World Cup for their 11 million Facebook fans. A difficult plan in a period where many brands was investing massive budgets to catch consumers' attention.
The MRM//McCann team came up with something for the fans - something which no one had done before. Imagine – millions of people playing foosball (table soccer) at the same time and at the same place. A huge achievement in technology and engineering made this possible to create the largest foosball tournament ever. The MRM//McCann team built 50 electronically controlled foosball tables and connected them to Facebook. Cameras monitored every arena and every action from three different angles.
The most exciting moment in soccer was captured: the penalty shootouts. Proudly wearing their nations' colors, fans from 23 countries played against each other online. Epic games were played, independent of location and device – and in real time.
To advertise Lidl’s own brands, the arenas (foosball tables) were branded with banners - just like in real stadiums.
In the end more than 120,000 hours of branded content was displayed. The integrated campaign resulted in massive awareness - 100 million media impressions through print, TV and online advertising. Additional PR stunts created a huge media buzz across Europe. The Italian World Cup winner, Fabio Grosso, even proved his foosball skills in the famous San Siro stadium. And the Lidl Fan base grew more than 350% during this 6 weeks. The FIFA licensed Fan Collection at Lidl Stores was sold out in just 2 weeks.
- #ThisIsParenthood - Published on 04/16/2019
- The Brookly Brothers and Íslenska Launch Buddy Hotline - Published on 04/10/2019
- The Martin Agency and GEICO Use ‘Smartdogs’ For Safer Driving - Published on 04/09/2019
- McCann Germany and L’Oréal Paris Launch Female Empowerment Campaign - Published on 04/09/2019
- Stickyeyes and Hertz Work to Inspire Audiences - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann, L’Oreal Paris and British Vogue Smash Preconceptions About Aging with ‘The Non-Issue’ - Published on 04/05/2019
- FCB New York Marks Smokey Bear’s 75th Anniversary with New Campaign - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann Health and Shatterproof Are Rewriting the Narrative Around Addiction - Published on 04/04/2019
- Stickyeyes and LG Create Digital Awareness Campaigns to Promote Activision Titles - Published on 04/04/2019
- Stickyeyes and Solopress Recover Search Visibility With Record-Breaking Growth - Published on 04/04/2019