IW Group and Coca-Cola Partner on Chinese-American Program
The Coca-Cola Company collaborated with IW Group to help leverage its iconic Coke brand along with other beverages such as Minute Maid®, Simply Orange®, Dasani® and Sokenbicha® in the Chinese-American community. The goal was to also drive purchase consideration of products that can serve as key ingredients in Chinese cooking. These steps were taken to help build awareness amongst an audience group where tea-drinking is ingrained in tradition and a part of daily social activity.
For Chinese-American consumers, welcoming the Lunar New Year is equivalent to the western Christmas celebration. It’s a time of family celebration coupled with enjoying sumptuous meals. IW Group and Coca-Cola capitalized on this important cultural passion point, which was the perfect avenue to infuse the brand’s “Open Happiness” platform. With an integrated marketing execution anchored on the Chinese Lunar New Year celebration, Coca-Cola was able to build on heritage and underscore the recognition of enjoying life’s special moments with family and friends.
The campaign incorporated in-language TV, radio, print, out-of-home, events, in-store merchandising and PR. One of the highlights of the program was the street team distribution of customized recipe booklets, which included popular dishes such as Coca-Cola® Chicken Wings. This was warmly received by customers because it served as a special Lunar New Year gift that they could share with their loved ones. It also became an inspiration in meal preparation for the New Year festivities.
Key San Francisco neighborhoods, Chinese supermarkets, restaurants, laundromats and other small stores were equipped with culturally relevant in-store merchandising that led to dramatic sale increases. Product sampling also allowed Chinese-American customers to experience other Coca-Cola product offerings.
The launch marked the first-ever successful Chinese-American market test in Coca-Cola history. Several of the neighborhoods that were part of the test now have newly activated Coca-Cola accounts and reinforced relationships with longstanding Chinese-American small business owners.
- Lisa Murray Appointed National Chair of IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network - Published on 12/12/2018
- IPG Mediabrands Works with SF SPCA - Published on 12/11/2018
- IPG to Host National Day of Understanding Focused on Issues of Race, Ethnicity and Inclusion - Published on 12/06/2018
- LOLA MullenLowe Brings Awareness to Child Abuse - Published on 11/29/2018
- IPG Brings Clean Water to Ethiopia - Published on 11/27/2018
- The Martin Agency and JFK Library Foundation Launch @JohnFKennedy - Published on 11/20/2018
- The Martin Agency and Land O’Lakes Thank Veterans for Their Service - Published on 11/15/2018
- R/GA Releases New Short Film for Love Has No Labels - Published on 11/14/2018
- IPG Leaders Participate in 3 % Conference - Published on 11/13/2018
- MullenLowe Open and Etihad Airways Create ‘Travel for Good’ Ramadan campaign - Published on 11/12/2018