PICASSO: Discover the Master.
We were charged with helping the 90-year old museum reach a new audience for its biggest-ever exhibit: PICASSO: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris, a once-in-a-lifetime display of over 170 pieces from Picasso's personal collection. The museum knew the art set would come, but how do you introduce Picasso to a new audience?
We knew discovery was at the core of Picasso's art. So we put it at the core of our campaign, bringing the art directly to the people, so they could discover it on their own, all from one place, their mobile phones.
Using simple QR codes as our raw material, we created an iconic portrait of the artist that challenged people to look deeper.
Scan the QR code and you discovered a gallery of paintings right on your mobile phone.
A Google map showed coordinates arranged in the shape of a bull. At each point on the map, people could discover a painting, sculpture, or provocative quote from Picasso via AR technology.
You could share your discovery via Facebook and Twitter.
And of course, you could buy tickets -- all with your phone.
We succeeded -- and then some!
As more people discovered the campaign, thousands of new voices began discussing the VMFA via web sites, blogs, flickr, twitter and in traditional media. There were over 500 blog mentions since the start of the campaign.
92% of the web mentions are from new sources since the start of the campaign.
The museum ended up surpassing its original goal of 200,000 tickets, selling over 229,000
- IPG Hosts Ninth Annual Global Breakfast at Cannes Festival of Creativity - Published on 06/19/2019
- IPG Offices Mark Pride Month - Published on 06/18/2019
- 303 MullenLowe Focuses on Mental Health Awareness - Published on 06/18/2019
- New Program Promotes Gender Equality at Acxiom - Published on 06/17/2019
- Deutsch and Heinz Create ‘Smear' Campaign - Published on 06/13/2019
- Michael Roth Honored by the AEF - Published on 06/11/2019
- Deutsch and Taco Bell Launch Daren Criss ‘Movie’ for Return of Nacho Fries - Published on 06/10/2019
- IPG Named to S&P 500 ESG and S&P Global 1200 ESG - Published on 06/10/2019
- IPG Employees Discuss Pride and Mark Stonewall 50th - Published on 06/07/2019
- Cadreon Hosts Mental Health & Wellness Event - Published on 05/23/2019