PICASSO: Discover the Master.
We were charged with helping the 90-year old museum reach a new audience for its biggest-ever exhibit: PICASSO: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris, a once-in-a-lifetime display of over 170 pieces from Picasso's personal collection. The museum knew the art set would come, but how do you introduce Picasso to a new audience?
We knew discovery was at the core of Picasso's art. So we put it at the core of our campaign, bringing the art directly to the people, so they could discover it on their own, all from one place, their mobile phones.
Using simple QR codes as our raw material, we created an iconic portrait of the artist that challenged people to look deeper.
Scan the QR code and you discovered a gallery of paintings right on your mobile phone.
A Google map showed coordinates arranged in the shape of a bull. At each point on the map, people could discover a painting, sculpture, or provocative quote from Picasso via AR technology.
You could share your discovery via Facebook and Twitter.
And of course, you could buy tickets -- all with your phone.
We succeeded -- and then some!
As more people discovered the campaign, thousands of new voices began discussing the VMFA via web sites, blogs, flickr, twitter and in traditional media. There were over 500 blog mentions since the start of the campaign.
92% of the web mentions are from new sources since the start of the campaign.
The museum ended up surpassing its original goal of 200,000 tickets, selling over 229,000
- ADVANTAGE & HYUNDAI ARE ROLLING AGAIN WITH THE NFL ROOKIES - Published on 04/20/2018
- IPG IT Group Hosts Middle Schoolers for STEM Event - Published on 04/18/2018
- The Martin Agency Marks Equal Pay Day - Published on 04/16/2018
- FCB Inferno Encourages Young People to be #Knifefree - Published on 04/09/2018
- McCann and MGM Resorts Celebrate Universal Love - Published on 04/06/2018
- FutureBrand UXUS and L’Occitane Create Immersive Experience - Published on 04/05/2018
- Quicken Loans - The Translator - Published on 03/30/2018
- Huge & Hulu Design the Future of TV - Published on 03/30/2018
- P&G’s SK-II and Huge Redefine Women’s Skincare Products - Published on 03/30/2018
- Huge Helps LG Re-imagine Authenticity for the "Post-Truth" World - Published on 03/30/2018