PICASSO: Discover the Master.
We were charged with helping the 90-year old museum reach a new audience for its biggest-ever exhibit: PICASSO: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris, a once-in-a-lifetime display of over 170 pieces from Picasso's personal collection. The museum knew the art set would come, but how do you introduce Picasso to a new audience?
We knew discovery was at the core of Picasso's art. So we put it at the core of our campaign, bringing the art directly to the people, so they could discover it on their own, all from one place, their mobile phones.
Using simple QR codes as our raw material, we created an iconic portrait of the artist that challenged people to look deeper.
Scan the QR code and you discovered a gallery of paintings right on your mobile phone.
A Google map showed coordinates arranged in the shape of a bull. At each point on the map, people could discover a painting, sculpture, or provocative quote from Picasso via AR technology.
You could share your discovery via Facebook and Twitter.
And of course, you could buy tickets -- all with your phone.
We succeeded -- and then some!
As more people discovered the campaign, thousands of new voices began discussing the VMFA via web sites, blogs, flickr, twitter and in traditional media. There were over 500 blog mentions since the start of the campaign.
92% of the web mentions are from new sources since the start of the campaign.
The museum ended up surpassing its original goal of 200,000 tickets, selling over 229,000
- Lisa Murray Appointed National Chair of IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network - Published on 12/12/2018
- IPG Mediabrands Works with SF SPCA - Published on 12/11/2018
- IPG to Host National Day of Understanding Focused on Issues of Race, Ethnicity and Inclusion - Published on 12/06/2018
- LOLA MullenLowe Brings Awareness to Child Abuse - Published on 11/29/2018
- IPG Brings Clean Water to Ethiopia - Published on 11/27/2018
- The Martin Agency and JFK Library Foundation Launch @JohnFKennedy - Published on 11/20/2018
- The Martin Agency and Land O’Lakes Thank Veterans for Their Service - Published on 11/15/2018
- R/GA Releases New Short Film for Love Has No Labels - Published on 11/14/2018
- IPG Leaders Participate in 3 % Conference - Published on 11/13/2018
- MullenLowe Open and Etihad Airways Create ‘Travel for Good’ Ramadan campaign - Published on 11/12/2018