Doritos Locos Tacos
Over the past decade, Taco Bell has launched more than 100 products, yet so many new product introductions had become just noise and consumers barely noticed anymore. Our challenge was to make consumers care about the 101st new product. The Doritos Locos Taco, a crunchy taco in a shell made from real Nacho Cheese Doritos.
This product got people talking, tweeting, posting, and sharing long before they’d even tried it. Rather than create a traditional campaign, we built a platform to let those already excited about it be heard all over the world. The more consumer stories we shared, the more hysteria we created. We began with a Twitter promotion rewarding the hometown of the winner with Doritos Locos Tacos before they were available in-store. We developed a mobile app, activated through packaging, which streamed live tweets via augmented reality and unlocked exclusive content. Tweets were also streamed on billboards in Times Square and Hollywood.
The main forum of conversation for our millennial consumer target was in the social space through Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. The stage we created to surround the consumer and share the hysteria gained us social credit for being part of a genuine experience. Leveraging this social media platform allowed us to become relevant, real, and engaging to our target and sell millions upon millions of Doritos Locos Tacos. By turning the camera on consumers, allowing their voices to be heard, we showed them that our Brand is listening.
After the first 10 weeks, more than 100 Million Doritos Locos Tacos were sold…and Taco Bell broke 50-year-old sales records.
- ADVANTAGE & HYUNDAI ARE ROLLING AGAIN WITH THE NFL ROOKIES - Published on 04/20/2018
- IPG IT Group Hosts Middle Schoolers for STEM Event - Published on 04/18/2018
- The Martin Agency Marks Equal Pay Day - Published on 04/16/2018
- FCB Inferno Encourages Young People to be #Knifefree - Published on 04/09/2018
- McCann and MGM Resorts Celebrate Universal Love - Published on 04/06/2018
- FutureBrand UXUS and L’Occitane Create Immersive Experience - Published on 04/05/2018
- Quicken Loans - The Translator - Published on 03/30/2018
- Huge & Hulu Design the Future of TV - Published on 03/30/2018
- P&G’s SK-II and Huge Redefine Women’s Skincare Products - Published on 03/30/2018
- Huge Helps LG Re-imagine Authenticity for the "Post-Truth" World - Published on 03/30/2018