Media Experts and BC Hydro Leverage Extreme Weather Alerts
In 2015, the province of British Columbia was hit hard with extreme weather. Residents were scared, uninformed, and unprepared, leaving the call centres of BC Hydro (the provincial hydro provider) overwhelmed with high call volumes.
BC Hydro wanted to quell those fears by informing residents of upcoming extreme weather, encouraging safety during storms, and providing real-time updates for power re-installations.
By leveraging Environment Canada’s alert system, BC Hydro dynamically served community-based messages via mobile, then capitalized on incoming search demand by bidding on storm-related keywords.
These efforts meant that when a storm hit, users in affected communities were receiving instant updates with BC Hydro storm safety messages that then led to maps of local power outages.
This campaign won Bronze, Best in Display at the 2016 Media Innovation Awards.
- Hill Holliday and Planet Fitness Launch New Work - Published on 07/16/2018
- LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King – ‘Come as a Clown, Eat Like a King’ - Published on 07/13/2018
- FCB Lisbon Partners with Paralympic Committee - Published on 07/10/2018
- EP+Co Celebrates Pride Month - Published on 07/09/2018
- 215 McCann and Minecraft Enlist Gamers to Save Coral Reefs - Published on 07/03/2018
- The Brooklyn Brothers Launches Isey Skyr in Russia - Published on 06/28/2018
- MRM//McCann and Creative Spirit: Nurturing Talent Together - Published on 06/28/2018
- IPG and charity: water Project Update - Published on 06/28/2018
- Shay Fu Named to Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business - Published on 06/28/2018
- Interpublic’s Black Employee Network Hosts Program for Black Music Month - Published on 06/27/2018