Bringing the Human Element to Life at Dow
Background and Objective
In 2006, The Dow Chemical Company announced its sustainability goals, including a commitment to achieve breakthroughs in the areas of sustainable water supplies, adequate food supplies, decent housing and personal health and safety by 2015. The goals became the foundation for Dow’s “Human Element” advertising and PR campaign, a key aspect of the company’s overall efforts to build its reputation. The campaign was centered on the concept that the missing element of the Periodic Table is the Human Element, which when applied to chemistry, can help solve the world’s most pressing problems. The company understood that the credibility and success of the Human Element campaign would depend in large part on active engagement from its employees around the world.
Dow aimed to align employees with the new brand positioning, build employee pride and commitment to Dow and motivate employees to live the promise behind the Human Element.
Working with Dow’s employee communications team, we designed an internal communications program featuring Dow employees – “I am the Human Element” – to educate Dow people about the Human Element campaign and the sustainability goals upon which it is built, as well as the importance of reputation in achieving Dow’s vision. The program has elevated employee pride by showing that everyone at Dow has the power to represent the Human Element in action each and every day.
The “I am the Human Element” campaign was extremely successful and embraced by Dow employees. Employees from around the world have been recognized and celebrated. Due to the success of the global series, the program has expanded to recognize employees at local, regional and business unit levels who embody the spirit of the Human Element at Dow.
- Weber Shandwick Recognized for Groundbreaking LGBT Partnership - Published on 08/17/2018
- Campbell Ewald Recognized for D&I Comms Program - Published on 08/17/2018
- Jeff Cruz Recognized as Inclusion Ally of the Year - Published on 08/17/2018
- Weber Shandwick’s Emil Hill Receives Inclusive Leadership Award - Published on 08/17/2018
- Orion Receives Most Inclusive Climate of the Year Award - Published on 08/17/2018
- IPG to Present Inclusion Awards - Published on 08/16/2018
- McCann Health London and Merck Launch ‘The Journey’ - Published on 08/14/2018
- Flipkart and Lowe Lintas Encourage Us to #Choose our Age - Published on 08/10/2018
- IPG AHG to Participate in Dragon Boat Races - Published on 08/10/2018
- Jack Morton and LEGO Technic Create the Brand's First Live Brand Experience in China - Published on 08/08/2018