McCann Lima Encourages Sex Education in Peru
According to a 2013 UNICEF study, 15 out of every 100 teenage girls in Peru under 16 are mothers, and the average age for first sexual activity is between 15 and 17 years old in urban areas; in rural areas the age drops to 10-14 years of age.
To address this situation and the social, economic and family issues that surround it, and to take direct aim at the problem of teenage pregnancy, Save the Children Peru partnered with McCann Lima to create Proble + Reales (“Real Problems”), an educational platform that seeks to minimize disinformation around teen pregnancy by using classroom subjects to make the information more familiar.
McCann Lima created the idea of “hacking” ordinary math problems to turn them into a medium for sex education by replacing items normally used in math problems like fruits or household objects with elements of childcare, such as diapers and bibs.
Presented on the website http://problemasreales.com/ and in printed promotional kits, the initiative was activated both among students and teachers in the Peruvian public-school system, as well as among parents and parents’ groups. The campaign raises tangible discussions and dialogues between parents and educators in a very conservative culture, because without the support of parents, sex education for schoolchildren would not become acceptable or effective.
“In a traditional society such as Peru, in which sex education is still a taboo to many parts of the population, we sought a creative way to make the teenage pregnancy problem more visible to youngsters, by showing them the real, everyday impact it may have in their lives,” said Mauricio Fernández Maldonado, McCann Lima Creative VP.
Reactions to the initiative so far have been very positive with the Peruvian Ministry of Education showing interest in incorporating the subject into the standard curriculum.
- Mastercard Brings People Together in The “Listening Room” - Published on 02/22/2018
- 303 MullenLowe Creates #TheShowerSong - Published on 02/21/2018
- FCB Canada and Air Canada Show Support for Inclusion and the Olympics - Published on 02/15/2018
- ReviveHealth Focuses on Everyday Champions - Published on 02/09/2018
- MullenLowe and Gordon’s Gin Change the Face of Train Delays - Published on 02/08/2018
- R/GA Joins the Fight Against Malaria - Published on 02/08/2018
- FCB New Zealand Creatively Discourages Excessive Drinking - Published on 02/07/2018
- MullenLowe London Celebrates Heart Research - Published on 02/07/2018
- Mullen Lintas Celebrates Modern Indian Women in Nykaa Campaign - Published on 02/05/2018
- FCB Ulka and Horlicks Ease Exam Stress for Students - Published on 02/05/2018