McCann Lima Encourages Sex Education in Peru
According to a 2013 UNICEF study, 15 out of every 100 teenage girls in Peru under 16 are mothers, and the average age for first sexual activity is between 15 and 17 years old in urban areas; in rural areas the age drops to 10-14 years of age.
To address this situation and the social, economic and family issues that surround it, and to take direct aim at the problem of teenage pregnancy, Save the Children Peru partnered with McCann Lima to create Proble + Reales (“Real Problems”), an educational platform that seeks to minimize disinformation around teen pregnancy by using classroom subjects to make the information more familiar.
McCann Lima created the idea of “hacking” ordinary math problems to turn them into a medium for sex education by replacing items normally used in math problems like fruits or household objects with elements of childcare, such as diapers and bibs.
Presented on the website http://problemasreales.com/ and in printed promotional kits, the initiative was activated both among students and teachers in the Peruvian public-school system, as well as among parents and parents’ groups. The campaign raises tangible discussions and dialogues between parents and educators in a very conservative culture, because without the support of parents, sex education for schoolchildren would not become acceptable or effective.
“In a traditional society such as Peru, in which sex education is still a taboo to many parts of the population, we sought a creative way to make the teenage pregnancy problem more visible to youngsters, by showing them the real, everyday impact it may have in their lives,” said Mauricio Fernández Maldonado, McCann Lima Creative VP.
Reactions to the initiative so far have been very positive with the Peruvian Ministry of Education showing interest in incorporating the subject into the standard curriculum.
- LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King – ‘Come as a Clown, Eat Like a King’ - Published on 07/13/2018
- FCB Lisbon Partners with Paralympic Committee - Published on 07/10/2018
- EP+Co Celebrates Pride Month - Published on 07/09/2018
- 215 McCann and Minecraft Enlist Gamers to Save Coral Reefs - Published on 07/03/2018
- The Brooklyn Brothers Launches Isey Skyr in Russia - Published on 06/28/2018
- MRM//McCann and Creative Spirit: Nurturing Talent Together - Published on 06/28/2018
- IPG and charity: water Project Update - Published on 06/28/2018
- Shay Fu Named to Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business - Published on 06/28/2018
- Interpublic’s Black Employee Network Hosts Program for Black Music Month - Published on 06/27/2018
- Jaguar Launches World Driving Day as Saudi Arabia Driving Ban Lifts - Published on 06/26/2018