McCann and CATHAY PACIFIC BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO OLD UNIFORMS WITH ‘WELL TRAVELLED LAI SEE’
McCann Worldgroup Hong Kong worked with client, Cathay Pacific to give new meaning to sustainability for Chinese New Year with the release of Well Travelled Lai See – created using thousands of retired uniforms that were destined for the landfill. Lai See are lucky money packets traditionally made of paper and are passed to family and friends at this time of year.
To highlight the spirit of giving at Chinese New Year, the bespoke Lai See are available for sale to the public with all profits going to a local Hong Kong charity.
320 million Lai See packets are given out in Hong Kong every year, with nearly all of these paper packets thrown away after the holiday, and just under 2% recycled. As the international airline that believes in travelling well, Cathay Pacific is actively involved in innovative solutions to help protect our world. Their symbolic idea to create Lai See out of retired uniforms has been designed to raise the conservation conversation to a new level in Hong Kong. The Well Travelled Lai See will not only eliminate paper waste - each Lai See can also be re-used as a travel wallet, passport holder or even phone pouch.
To create the Well Travelled Lai See, the retired uniforms started their new journey in the hands of Angus Tsui – an award-wining Hong Kong eco-designer. He created a contemporary design style that would make each one unique from the next, with minimal waste.
Prian Chan, Assistant Environmental Manager, Cathay Pacific said “We’re excited to be collaborating again with McCann and Angus on our limited-edition Lai See packets for the Year of the Dog in 2018. They are beautifully designed and make the perfect gift for loved ones.”
Martin Lever, Executive Creative Director, McCann Worldgroup Hong Kong added, “In an increasingly disposable world, it’s lovely to work on a project that not only gives new meaning to a centuries-old tradition, but which also reduces waste in more ways than one. A very simple idea brought to life with layers of loving craft, and all designed for a good charitable cause. There’s no better way to create genuine brand love.”
For more information on how the Well Travelled Lai See were made, please click here.
- Orion Features D&I Conversation Series - Published on 09/21/2018
- The Martin Agency Creates ‘LoveShare’ for Virginia Tourism - Published on 09/17/2018
- Packing 4,444 Meals is all in a Day’s Work at IPG Corporate - Published on 09/16/2018
- IPG Is Part of Business Roundtable D&I Initiative - Published on 09/16/2018
- Anheuser-Busch and Huge Launch New Campaign Proving Beer Can Change the World - Published on 09/14/2018
- IPG MEDIABRANDS PARTNERS with plano TO SAVE SIGHT AND EMPOWER LIVES - Published on 09/12/2018
- 303 MullenLowe Encourages Road Safety - Published on 09/12/2018
- MullenLowe London Celebrates Nurses - Published on 09/11/2018
- Coca-Cola / 1,000 Songs Celebration - Published on 09/07/2018
- Navy Federal / Our Members Are the Mission - Published on 09/07/2018