McCann and CATHAY PACIFIC BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO OLD UNIFORMS WITH ‘WELL TRAVELLED LAI SEE’
McCann Worldgroup Hong Kong worked with client, Cathay Pacific to give new meaning to sustainability for Chinese New Year with the release of Well Travelled Lai See – created using thousands of retired uniforms that were destined for the landfill. Lai See are lucky money packets traditionally made of paper and are passed to family and friends at this time of year.
To highlight the spirit of giving at Chinese New Year, the bespoke Lai See are available for sale to the public with all profits going to a local Hong Kong charity.
320 million Lai See packets are given out in Hong Kong every year, with nearly all of these paper packets thrown away after the holiday, and just under 2% recycled. As the international airline that believes in travelling well, Cathay Pacific is actively involved in innovative solutions to help protect our world. Their symbolic idea to create Lai See out of retired uniforms has been designed to raise the conservation conversation to a new level in Hong Kong. The Well Travelled Lai See will not only eliminate paper waste - each Lai See can also be re-used as a travel wallet, passport holder or even phone pouch.
To create the Well Travelled Lai See, the retired uniforms started their new journey in the hands of Angus Tsui – an award-wining Hong Kong eco-designer. He created a contemporary design style that would make each one unique from the next, with minimal waste.
Prian Chan, Assistant Environmental Manager, Cathay Pacific said “We’re excited to be collaborating again with McCann and Angus on our limited-edition Lai See packets for the Year of the Dog in 2018. They are beautifully designed and make the perfect gift for loved ones.”
Martin Lever, Executive Creative Director, McCann Worldgroup Hong Kong added, “In an increasingly disposable world, it’s lovely to work on a project that not only gives new meaning to a centuries-old tradition, but which also reduces waste in more ways than one. A very simple idea brought to life with layers of loving craft, and all designed for a good charitable cause. There’s no better way to create genuine brand love.”
For more information on how the Well Travelled Lai See were made, please click here.
- Helping Disappointed U.S. Soccer Fans Find a New Fandom - Published on 01/14/2019
- IPG Hosts Annual Women’s Breakfast at CES - Published on 01/14/2019
- EP+Co & Lenovo Let Gamers Embrace Their Inner Savage - Published on 01/10/2019
- EP+Co and Denny's Launch the Mobile Relief Diner - Published on 01/09/2019
- LOLA MullenLowe Encourages Blood Marrow Donation - Published on 01/07/2019
- McCann and Cigna Feature Queen Latifah and Nick Jonas in Emotional Wellness Campaign - Published on 01/03/2019
- Lisa Murray Appointed National Chair of IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network - Published on 12/12/2018
- IPG Mediabrands Works with SF SPCA - Published on 12/11/2018
- Making an Impact with Major Media - Published on 12/10/2018
- 12 Days of Grilled Cheese - Published on 12/10/2018