FCB Happiness Gives Skin Cancer a Voice
To make a radio campaign, you need to cast a voice. But what if that voice becomes the idea? FCB Happiness worked with The Belgian Foundation Against Cancer to launch a radio campaign against the use of sunbeds – and it was recorded by the very voice inside those sunbeds.
Most modern sunbeds are equipped with a voice guide – a gentle, female voice guiding you though your session. The Belgian Foundation Against Cancer and FCB Happiness decided to seek out the Dutch voice-over actress, Jolanda van Cooten, who provides the guidance inside thousands of sunbeds in Belgium. The agency convinced her to use her voice for a greater good – a radio campaign against sunbed use. In the ad, Jolanda urges people to stop using sunbeds and warns listeners about the increased skin cancer risk – the voice inside thousands of sunbeds across Belgium and the Netherlands has now become the voice of a radio campaign against the use of sunbeds.
Every day more than 100 Belgians are diagnosed with skin cancer, and one of the main causes is the use of sunbeds. Compared to other European countries, sunbed use in Belgium is high. Belgium’s weather is intemperate, and winters can be cold and dark, driving lots of people to tanning salons for a quick bronze. Research from the Superior Health Council of Belgium shows that more than 1 million Belgian people between 15 and 65 years of age use a sunbed yearly. 62% of sunbed users have at least 10 tanning sessions per year, and 23% of sunbed users have more than 20 sessions per year.
The timing of the campaign couldn’t be better: sunbed use is the highest just before summer. One of the main motivations for using sunbeds is “preparing the skin before a holiday,” with many people mistakenly believe that a few artificial UV sessions prior to sunny holidays may protect them against sunburns.
- MullenLowe London Brings Attention to Child Sexual Abuse - Published on 01/17/2019
- Helping Disappointed U.S. Soccer Fans Find a New Fandom - Published on 01/14/2019
- Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball - Published on 01/14/2019
- IPG Hosts Annual Women’s Breakfast at CES - Published on 01/14/2019
- EP+Co Pushes the Limit in Fashion Advertising with Newest Men's Wearhouse Campaign - Published on 01/10/2019
- EP+Co & Lenovo Let Gamers Embrace Their Inner Savage - Published on 01/10/2019
- EP+Co and Denny's Launch the Mobile Relief Diner - Published on 01/09/2019
- LOLA MullenLowe Encourages Blood Marrow Donation - Published on 01/07/2019
- McCann and Cigna Feature Queen Latifah and Nick Jonas in Emotional Wellness Campaign - Published on 01/03/2019
- Lisa Murray Appointed National Chair of IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network - Published on 12/12/2018