McCann London Challenges Blood Donation Ban
With world blood donor day approaching on June 14th, and a persistent shortage of global blood supplies, McCann London teamed up with the Peter Tatchell Foundation to challenge the blanket ban against sexually active gay and bisexual men donating blood. Together, they launched “Screen the Blood, not the Sexuality.” They created “The Gaydr” - a pseudo “gay detector” device – which was used to scan heterosexual men on their way to a blood bank in central London, in order to make them feel the same sense of exclusion experienced by sexually active gay and bisexual men in many countries. The spoof Gaydr scan informed them that they were actually gay and not allowed to donate blood.
McCann London used hidden cameras to film the scanned men’s reaction to the Gaydr and the current global restrictions.
“People’s reactions to the video, captured on film, range from horror to humor, disbelief to dismay” said Laurence Thomson, Chief Creative Officer and Co-President, McCann London. “The point of the video is to highlight the absurdity of the sweeping restrictions and the generalizations about gay and bisexual men on which they are based.”
- Bank of America Special Olympics World Games - Published on 03/18/2019
- Hill Holliday and Optum Launch Brand Campaign - Published on 03/18/2019
- Lowe Lintas and Gits Food Mark IWD - Published on 03/12/2019
- McDonald's: MacCoin - Published on 03/11/2019
- nPower: Blue Go Green - Published on 03/11/2019
- Microsoft 365 – B2B Event Experiences Around The Globe - Published on 03/11/2019
- Frontier Communications – Sponsorship Strategy Roadmap - Published on 03/11/2019
- Party City "The Children Are Coming" - Published on 03/11/2019
- Weber Shandwick and Ancestry Connect Strangers Via Underground Railroad Connections - Published on 03/07/2019
- IPG Mediabrands Honored at Working Mother of the Year Awards - Published on 02/28/2019