McCann London Challenges Blood Donation Ban
With world blood donor day approaching on June 14th, and a persistent shortage of global blood supplies, McCann London teamed up with the Peter Tatchell Foundation to challenge the blanket ban against sexually active gay and bisexual men donating blood. Together, they launched “Screen the Blood, not the Sexuality.” They created “The Gaydr” - a pseudo “gay detector” device – which was used to scan heterosexual men on their way to a blood bank in central London, in order to make them feel the same sense of exclusion experienced by sexually active gay and bisexual men in many countries. The spoof Gaydr scan informed them that they were actually gay and not allowed to donate blood.
McCann London used hidden cameras to film the scanned men’s reaction to the Gaydr and the current global restrictions.
“People’s reactions to the video, captured on film, range from horror to humor, disbelief to dismay” said Laurence Thomson, Chief Creative Officer and Co-President, McCann London. “The point of the video is to highlight the absurdity of the sweeping restrictions and the generalizations about gay and bisexual men on which they are based.”
- LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King – ‘Come as a Clown, Eat Like a King’ - Published on 07/13/2018
- FCB Lisbon Partners with Paralympic Committee - Published on 07/10/2018
- EP+Co Celebrates Pride Month - Published on 07/09/2018
- 215 McCann and Minecraft Enlist Gamers to Save Coral Reefs - Published on 07/03/2018
- The Brooklyn Brothers Launches Isey Skyr in Russia - Published on 06/28/2018
- MRM//McCann and Creative Spirit: Nurturing Talent Together - Published on 06/28/2018
- IPG and charity: water Project Update - Published on 06/28/2018
- Shay Fu Named to Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business - Published on 06/28/2018
- Interpublic’s Black Employee Network Hosts Program for Black Music Month - Published on 06/27/2018
- Jaguar Launches World Driving Day as Saudi Arabia Driving Ban Lifts - Published on 06/26/2018