Checkers & Rally's / Buy Back the Block
Rick Ross buys back his childhood Checkers, fuels a movement.
Checkers & Rally’s is a burger place that serves an ignored section of the community. We wanted to start a movement to lift the community up. Led by a successful neighborhood voice: rap mogul Rick Ross.
His love for the brand started as a kid, and Checkers was the most affordable option. So first, Checkers sold Ross his childhood franchise. Then we partnered with Uproxx Studios to shoot a documentary about his love for Checkers and how it inspired him to buy back his old neighborhood. We released the “Buy Back the Block” film on social, and it blew up with 119 million impressions and 31,000 hours spent watching. Ross fueled the fire with a hit song called "Buy Back The Block," with the story of him buying Checkers built into the lyrics. Our audience couldn’t get enough as the song blew up on social and climbed the charts. And the movement continues, inspiring the community to continue using #BuyBackTheBlock even months later.
The project has won a slew of creative awards including a Silver Cannes Lion in Entertainment for Music, a Bronze Cannes Lion in PR, and a One Show Pencil in the Cultural Driver category: "Work that is the pace car for the future of culture." It also performed well at The Webby Awards, New York Festivals, Food and Beverage Awards, Campaign US’s I&C Disruptors Award, and is selected to be featured in Brand Film Festival. The campaign also scored coverage in The New York Times, BET, Rolling Stone, XXL, Adweek and many more.
- IPG Mediabrands Works with SF SPCA - Published on 12/11/2018
- IPG to Host National Day of Understanding Focused on Issues of Race, Ethnicity and Inclusion - Published on 12/06/2018
- LOLA MullenLowe Brings Awareness to Child Abuse - Published on 11/29/2018
- IPG Brings Clean Water to Ethiopia - Published on 11/27/2018
- The Martin Agency and JFK Library Foundation Launch @JohnFKennedy - Published on 11/20/2018
- The Martin Agency and Land O’Lakes Thank Veterans for Their Service - Published on 11/15/2018
- R/GA Releases New Short Film for Love Has No Labels - Published on 11/14/2018
- IPG Leaders Participate in 3 % Conference - Published on 11/13/2018
- MullenLowe Open and Etihad Airways Create ‘Travel for Good’ Ramadan campaign - Published on 11/12/2018
- Hill Holliday Works with Kay Jewelers to Immortalize Love - Published on 11/09/2018