Checkers & Rally's / Buy Back the Block
Rick Ross buys back his childhood Checkers, fuels a movement.
Checkers & Rally’s is a burger place that serves an ignored section of the community. We wanted to start a movement to lift the community up. Led by a successful neighborhood voice: rap mogul Rick Ross.
His love for the brand started as a kid, and Checkers was the most affordable option. So first, Checkers sold Ross his childhood franchise. Then we partnered with Uproxx Studios to shoot a documentary about his love for Checkers and how it inspired him to buy back his old neighborhood. We released the “Buy Back the Block” film on social, and it blew up with 119 million impressions and 31,000 hours spent watching. Ross fueled the fire with a hit song called "Buy Back The Block," with the story of him buying Checkers built into the lyrics. Our audience couldn’t get enough as the song blew up on social and climbed the charts. And the movement continues, inspiring the community to continue using #BuyBackTheBlock even months later.
The project has won a slew of creative awards including a Silver Cannes Lion in Entertainment for Music, a Bronze Cannes Lion in PR, and a One Show Pencil in the Cultural Driver category: "Work that is the pace car for the future of culture." It also performed well at The Webby Awards, New York Festivals, Food and Beverage Awards, Campaign US’s I&C Disruptors Award, and is selected to be featured in Brand Film Festival. The campaign also scored coverage in The New York Times, BET, Rolling Stone, XXL, Adweek and many more.
- MullenLowe London Creates Campaign for Winston Fletcher Fiction Prize - Published on 02/14/2019
- The Martin Agency and Oreo Launch New Work with Wiz Khalifa - Published on 02/13/2019
- Deutsch Works with Me Too on New Campaign - Published on 02/08/2019
- McCann Shanghai and Coca-Cola Launch Annual Chinese New Year Campaign - Published on 02/06/2019
- Michael Roth Accepts the BRT Sustainability Challenge - Published on 02/04/2019
- Weber Shandwick and Stella Artois Partner Again with Water.org In Super Bowl Spot - Published on 02/01/2019
- FCB Canada Develops Campaign for PTSD Sufferers - Published on 01/31/2019
- MullenLowe London Brings Attention to Child Sexual Abuse - Published on 01/17/2019
- Helping Disappointed U.S. Soccer Fans Find a New Fandom - Published on 01/14/2019
- Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball - Published on 01/14/2019