Checkers & Rally's / Buy Back the Block
Rick Ross buys back his childhood Checkers, fuels a movement.
Checkers & Rally’s is a burger place that serves an ignored section of the community. We wanted to start a movement to lift the community up. Led by a successful neighborhood voice: rap mogul Rick Ross.
His love for the brand started as a kid, and Checkers was the most affordable option. So first, Checkers sold Ross his childhood franchise. Then we partnered with Uproxx Studios to shoot a documentary about his love for Checkers and how it inspired him to buy back his old neighborhood. We released the “Buy Back the Block” film on social, and it blew up with 119 million impressions and 31,000 hours spent watching. Ross fueled the fire with a hit song called "Buy Back The Block," with the story of him buying Checkers built into the lyrics. Our audience couldn’t get enough as the song blew up on social and climbed the charts. And the movement continues, inspiring the community to continue using #BuyBackTheBlock even months later.
The project has won a slew of creative awards including a Silver Cannes Lion in Entertainment for Music, a Bronze Cannes Lion in PR, and a One Show Pencil in the Cultural Driver category: "Work that is the pace car for the future of culture." It also performed well at The Webby Awards, New York Festivals, Food and Beverage Awards, Campaign US’s I&C Disruptors Award, and is selected to be featured in Brand Film Festival. The campaign also scored coverage in The New York Times, BET, Rolling Stone, XXL, Adweek and many more.
- DeVries and Zippo Launch Campaign to Combat Wildfire - Published on 08/09/2019
- FITZCO Partners with French’s and Coolhaus on Mustard Ice Cream for National Mustard Day - Published on 08/07/2019
- The Martin Agency Receives Inclusion Award for Outstanding Business Results - Published on 08/06/2019
- Golin’s ‘Have Her Back’ Receives Inclusive Talent Initiatives Award - Published on 08/06/2019
- FCB Health’s Sabrina Prince Recognized with Inclusive Leadership Award - Published on 08/06/2019
- Jack Morton Worldwide Recognized at Inclusion Awards for Community Impact - Published on 08/02/2019
- MRM//McCANN Recognized with Agency Inclusion Vanguard Award - Published on 08/02/2019
- McCann’s ‘Reindeer Games’ Recognized With Two Honors at the 2019 IPG Inclusion Awards - Published on 08/02/2019
- Golin’s Amaya Adams Recognized as Inclusion Ally of the Year - Published on 08/01/2019
- FCB New Zealand Recognized for Inclusion Campaign of the Year - Published on 08/01/2019