McCann London Brings Attention to Air Pollution with ‘Toxic Toby’
McCann London has launched a playful yet deadly serious campaign to raise awareness around London’s “silent killer” – air pollution caused by the city’s relentless traffic.
The campaign stars "Toxic Toby" – a cute and cuddly animatronic soft toy that’s fighting for the human right to breathe clean air. Toxic Toby is placed in key, high-traffic spots around London and the site is decorated like a roadside memorial to a traffic victim. The “Clean Air Bear” is connected via real-time, location-based air quality data. Toxic Toby begins to cough when the pollution levels reach dangerously high levels. Each time Toxic Toby coughs, an automatic tweet is sent to local London politicians, warning them that pollution levels have reached precarious limits, and reminding them that they need to act.
While London passersby have reacted with keen interest and are amused by Toxic Toby, the data is quite serious, because 9,400 London citizens die prematurely every single year from causes directly linked to air pollution. The project’s goal is to use technology and Toby’s emotive power to raise public awareness around the startling health dangers of environmental contamination. Local government needs to step up action against the toxic air that’s polluting London and face the stark reality that pollution causes nearly 40 times as many deaths per year as car accidents.
- MullenLowe London Creates Campaign for Winston Fletcher Fiction Prize - Published on 02/14/2019
- The Martin Agency and Oreo Launch New Work with Wiz Khalifa - Published on 02/13/2019
- Deutsch Works with Me Too on New Campaign - Published on 02/08/2019
- McCann Shanghai and Coca-Cola Launch Annual Chinese New Year Campaign - Published on 02/06/2019
- Michael Roth Accepts the BRT Sustainability Challenge - Published on 02/04/2019
- Weber Shandwick and Stella Artois Partner Again with Water.org In Super Bowl Spot - Published on 02/01/2019
- FCB Canada Develops Campaign for PTSD Sufferers - Published on 01/31/2019
- MullenLowe London Brings Attention to Child Sexual Abuse - Published on 01/17/2019
- Helping Disappointed U.S. Soccer Fans Find a New Fandom - Published on 01/14/2019
- Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball - Published on 01/14/2019