McCann London Brings Attention to Air Pollution with ‘Toxic Toby’
McCann London has launched a playful yet deadly serious campaign to raise awareness around London’s “silent killer” – air pollution caused by the city’s relentless traffic.
The campaign stars "Toxic Toby" – a cute and cuddly animatronic soft toy that’s fighting for the human right to breathe clean air. Toxic Toby is placed in key, high-traffic spots around London and the site is decorated like a roadside memorial to a traffic victim. The “Clean Air Bear” is connected via real-time, location-based air quality data. Toxic Toby begins to cough when the pollution levels reach dangerously high levels. Each time Toxic Toby coughs, an automatic tweet is sent to local London politicians, warning them that pollution levels have reached precarious limits, and reminding them that they need to act.
While London passersby have reacted with keen interest and are amused by Toxic Toby, the data is quite serious, because 9,400 London citizens die prematurely every single year from causes directly linked to air pollution. The project’s goal is to use technology and Toby’s emotive power to raise public awareness around the startling health dangers of environmental contamination. Local government needs to step up action against the toxic air that’s polluting London and face the stark reality that pollution causes nearly 40 times as many deaths per year as car accidents.
- IPG Hosts Ninth Annual Global Breakfast at Cannes Festival of Creativity - Published on 06/19/2019
- IPG Offices Mark Pride Month - Published on 06/18/2019
- 303 MullenLowe Focuses on Mental Health Awareness - Published on 06/18/2019
- New Program Promotes Gender Equality at Acxiom - Published on 06/17/2019
- Deutsch and Heinz Create ‘Smear' Campaign - Published on 06/13/2019
- Michael Roth Honored by the AEF - Published on 06/11/2019
- Deutsch and Taco Bell Launch Daren Criss ‘Movie’ for Return of Nacho Fries - Published on 06/10/2019
- IPG Named to S&P 500 ESG and S&P Global 1200 ESG - Published on 06/10/2019
- IPG Employees Discuss Pride and Mark Stonewall 50th - Published on 06/07/2019
- Cadreon Hosts Mental Health & Wellness Event - Published on 05/23/2019