One of McDonald’s most iconic menu items, the Big Mac, celebrated its 50th Anniversary creating an opportunity for the brand to reignite love for the Big Mac. Since its invention, the Big Mac has traversed the globe and has become so ubiquitous that The Economist even uses the Big Mac as an international measure of global currency. Understanding the global nature of the Big Mac, Golin knew something big had to be done in order to properly celebrate the iconic sandwich on its golden anniversary.
To get media and consumers talking about the 50th anniversary of the Big Mac and taking inspiration from key insights, Golin set out to help McDonald’s create the world’s first fully food-backed currency – MacCoin – a limited edition global currency* backed by the internationally iconic Big Mac itself. This summer, Big Mac fans in more than 50 participating countries around the world could get their hands on one of the 6.2 million MacCoins – available in five designs, each representing a decade of the Big Mac – to be shared, collected or redeemed for a free Big Mac at McDonald’s restaurants in participating countries all around the globe.
Ready to put this experience to work for your brand? Get in touch with us.
*MacCoin has no cash value and was only redeemable for one free Big Mac at participating McDonald’s restaurants during the time of the promotion.
- McCann Raises Awareness for Organ Donation - Published on 04/18/2019
- #ThisIsParenthood - Published on 04/16/2019
- The Brookly Brothers and Íslenska Launch Buddy Hotline - Published on 04/10/2019
- The Martin Agency and GEICO Use ‘Smartdogs’ For Safer Driving - Published on 04/09/2019
- McCann Germany and L’Oréal Paris Launch Female Empowerment Campaign - Published on 04/09/2019
- Stickyeyes and Hertz Work to Inspire Audiences - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann, L’Oreal Paris and British Vogue Smash Preconceptions About Aging with ‘The Non-Issue’ - Published on 04/05/2019
- FCB New York Marks Smokey Bear’s 75th Anniversary with New Campaign - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann Health and Shatterproof Are Rewriting the Narrative Around Addiction - Published on 04/04/2019
- Stickyeyes and LG Create Digital Awareness Campaigns to Promote Activision Titles - Published on 04/04/2019