Closing the STEM Gender Gap
IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network Women’s Leadership Network (WLN) hosted a Women’s History Month event on “Closing the STEM Gender Gap: Math, Science, Technology and Stereotypes” featuring female STEM executives from IPG agencies.
The IPG Women’s Leadership Network Women’s Leadership Network (WLN) is an empowered IPG-wide organization that promotes the advancement, retention and recruitment of women . Through this event, the New York Chapter of the WLN aimed to promote STEM (Science Technology, Engineering and Math) careers in the advertising industry.
In honor of Women’s History Month, the WLN New York Chapter hosted “Closing the STEM Gender Gap,” a conversation touching on the intersection of STEM and the advertising industry. The event included a panel discussion with executives from IPG, Ansible, FCB, GolinHarris, ICC Lowe, IPG Mediabrands, MAGNA Global, Deutsch, McCann and R/GA. Panelists discussed topics that included:
- In a country in which the average women still earns 77 cents for every dollar that a man earns, and the majority of single parents are single mothers, getting more women into STEM and STEM-related careers could reduce the gender wage gap and ensure that single mothers don't have to struggle to put food on the table.
- There are currently more jobs in STEM than in any other industry. Most of these high-tech jobs are high-paying, as well. According to the National Council for Women and Information Technology, there will be around 1.4 million computer specialist job openings expected in the U.S. by 2020. Women have the capability to hold 50 percent of those jobs. And many of these jobs exist in the advertising industry.
The night kicked off with WLN co-chairs Felicia Geiger and Marie Corcoran welcoming attendees and redefining the way in which we think of women in the workplace as well as how the definition of a STEM career is broader than ever before.
“Closing the STEM Gender Gap” provided an opportunity for attendees to learn about STEM disciplines and how they overlap with our industry.
- Eleven IPG Agency executives participated in the evening program as mentors
- More than 100 employees registered for the event.
- 56% of attendees felt this was an opportunity for them to support diversity and inclusion initiatives overall
- 93% of attendees enjoyed being able to meet and network with colleagues across the IPG family
- McCann Raises Awareness for Organ Donation - Published on 04/18/2019
- #ThisIsParenthood - Published on 04/16/2019
- The Brookly Brothers and Íslenska Launch Buddy Hotline - Published on 04/10/2019
- The Martin Agency and GEICO Use ‘Smartdogs’ For Safer Driving - Published on 04/09/2019
- McCann Germany and L’Oréal Paris Launch Female Empowerment Campaign - Published on 04/09/2019
- Stickyeyes and Hertz Work to Inspire Audiences - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann, L’Oreal Paris and British Vogue Smash Preconceptions About Aging with ‘The Non-Issue’ - Published on 04/05/2019
- FCB New York Marks Smokey Bear’s 75th Anniversary with New Campaign - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann Health and Shatterproof Are Rewriting the Narrative Around Addiction - Published on 04/04/2019
- Stickyeyes and LG Create Digital Awareness Campaigns to Promote Activision Titles - Published on 04/04/2019