Closing the STEM Gender Gap
IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network Women’s Leadership Network (WLN) hosted a Women’s History Month event on “Closing the STEM Gender Gap: Math, Science, Technology and Stereotypes” featuring female STEM executives from IPG agencies.
The IPG Women’s Leadership Network Women’s Leadership Network (WLN) is an empowered IPG-wide organization that promotes the advancement, retention and recruitment of women . Through this event, the New York Chapter of the WLN aimed to promote STEM (Science Technology, Engineering and Math) careers in the advertising industry.
In honor of Women’s History Month, the WLN New York Chapter hosted “Closing the STEM Gender Gap,” a conversation touching on the intersection of STEM and the advertising industry. The event included a panel discussion with executives from IPG, Ansible, FCB, GolinHarris, ICC Lowe, IPG Mediabrands, MAGNA Global, Deutsch, McCann and R/GA. Panelists discussed topics that included:
- In a country in which the average women still earns 77 cents for every dollar that a man earns, and the majority of single parents are single mothers, getting more women into STEM and STEM-related careers could reduce the gender wage gap and ensure that single mothers don't have to struggle to put food on the table.
- There are currently more jobs in STEM than in any other industry. Most of these high-tech jobs are high-paying, as well. According to the National Council for Women and Information Technology, there will be around 1.4 million computer specialist job openings expected in the U.S. by 2020. Women have the capability to hold 50 percent of those jobs. And many of these jobs exist in the advertising industry.
The night kicked off with WLN co-chairs Felicia Geiger and Marie Corcoran welcoming attendees and redefining the way in which we think of women in the workplace as well as how the definition of a STEM career is broader than ever before.
“Closing the STEM Gender Gap” provided an opportunity for attendees to learn about STEM disciplines and how they overlap with our industry.
- Eleven IPG Agency executives participated in the evening program as mentors
- More than 100 employees registered for the event.
- 56% of attendees felt this was an opportunity for them to support diversity and inclusion initiatives overall
- 93% of attendees enjoyed being able to meet and network with colleagues across the IPG family
- Hill Holliday and Planet Fitness Launch New Work - Published on 07/16/2018
- LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King – ‘Come as a Clown, Eat Like a King’ - Published on 07/13/2018
- FCB Lisbon Partners with Paralympic Committee - Published on 07/10/2018
- EP+Co Celebrates Pride Month - Published on 07/09/2018
- 215 McCann and Minecraft Enlist Gamers to Save Coral Reefs - Published on 07/03/2018
- The Brooklyn Brothers Launches Isey Skyr in Russia - Published on 06/28/2018
- MRM//McCann and Creative Spirit: Nurturing Talent Together - Published on 06/28/2018
- IPG and charity: water Project Update - Published on 06/28/2018
- Shay Fu Named to Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business - Published on 06/28/2018
- Interpublic’s Black Employee Network Hosts Program for Black Music Month - Published on 06/27/2018