Smokey Celebrates 70th... and A New Attitude
This summer, Smokey Bear celebrated his 70th birthday – and the same number of years with FCB as his agency of record.
For the past 70 years, Smokey has been an American Icon—standing with enviable posture and iconic hat, helping to keep American forests safe. And they haven’t been idle years either -- the number of acres of forest lost to fire has dropped from 22 million per year in 1944 to 6.7 million a year currently.
The campaign against forest fires featuring Smokey is one of the longest running and most successful of its kind. But somewhere in those 70 years, in an example of art imitating life perhaps, Smokey has reprioritized things a bit as he’s gotten older. He isn’t as strict. The pointing finger some of us may remember is gone replaced by bear hugs and rewards for those who take measures to prevent forest fires. Not to mention, a twitter account that boasts nearly 27,000 followers!
Of course, Smokey won’t change too much. Perhaps you can’t – or shouldn’t – teach an old bear new tricks.
- #ThisIsParenthood - Published on 04/16/2019
- The Brookly Brothers and Íslenska Launch Buddy Hotline - Published on 04/10/2019
- The Martin Agency and GEICO Use ‘Smartdogs’ For Safer Driving - Published on 04/09/2019
- McCann Germany and L’Oréal Paris Launch Female Empowerment Campaign - Published on 04/09/2019
- Stickyeyes and Hertz Work to Inspire Audiences - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann, L’Oreal Paris and British Vogue Smash Preconceptions About Aging with ‘The Non-Issue’ - Published on 04/05/2019
- FCB New York Marks Smokey Bear’s 75th Anniversary with New Campaign - Published on 04/05/2019
- McCann Health and Shatterproof Are Rewriting the Narrative Around Addiction - Published on 04/04/2019
- Stickyeyes and LG Create Digital Awareness Campaigns to Promote Activision Titles - Published on 04/04/2019
- Stickyeyes and Solopress Recover Search Visibility With Record-Breaking Growth - Published on 04/04/2019