MullenLowe Launches Suicide Prevention Campaign
MullenLowe London has launched “We Listen,” a powerful suicide prevention campaign for Samaritans, a UK-based community organization focused on helping those struggling with depression.
“We Listen” is the first campaign from MullenLowe since the agency won the Samaritans business in July 2015, and features photographs by Nadav Kander, famous for his portraits of luminaries including President Obama and David Lynch.
Funded by Network Rail on behalf of the rail industry, the campaign's message is that when you are struggling to cope it is often hard to talk about your problems and easier to hide your feelings. But when someone listens, like the Samaritans trained volunteers, you’re more likely to open up and start working through your problems.
The campaign is the start of a repositioning of Samaritans as the expert listeners. Samaritans’ research shows that while most of us think we’re good listeners, we often keep quiet about our own problems – nearly two-thirds (64%) of people in the UK believe they’re good listeners, but less than a quarter (23%) feel they can talk when something’s on their mind. The campaign encourages people to contact Samaritans before they feel suicidal, and as soon as they start struggling to cope.
“Life’s pressures can build, without you even realising,” said Samaritans CEO Ruth Sutherland. “It’s all too easy to turn away, ignore how you’re feeling, and put on a brave face. But you don’t have to do that with Samaritans. Samaritans volunteers make time for you and really listen to you, because simply being listened to can help you put into words what’s really going on in your life and help you find a way through,” she continued.
The campaign is being launched in railway stations across England, Scotland and Wales and features Nadav Kander’s stunning unique and anonymous portraits of people facing away from the camera. Each execution contains hidden messages where people claiming to be fine reveal that they’re not OK at all. The message from Samaritans is, “We don’t just hear you, we listen," reassuring callers that dedicated listeners are there to support them with whatever they are going through. The campaign will be promoted online and across social media. Get on board with #welisten by following Samaritans on Twitter @samaritans or facebook www.facebook.com/samaritanscharity.
- McCann Europe and MRM//McCann Frankfurt Create Alexa Skill for Those with Alzheimer’s - Published on 05/20/2019
- FCB/RED and Bud Light Celebrate Pride - Published on 05/16/2019
- Neon Uses Cheesy Ads for Recruitment - Published on 05/13/2019
- McCann and Mastercard Showcase Unity through Sport - Published on 05/09/2019
- MullenLowe Singapore and Signia Bring Attention to Hearing Loss - Published on 05/07/2019
- FCB Mexico and Ayudín Focus on Equality in New Campaign - Published on 05/03/2019
- Rapport Creates Environmentally-Friendly Billboards for Earth Day - Published on 05/02/2019
- Mullen Lowe and Burger King Launch Campaign Around ‘Real Meals’ - Published on 05/02/2019
- Jack Morton and Chevrolet Empower Girls through Sport - Published on 04/25/2019
- FCB Chicago Creates Conversation About Gun Violence - Published on 04/23/2019