FCB Shows Teens the Real Cost of Smoking
Every day in the U.S. nearly 3,300 youth under age 18 smoke their first cigarette and more than 700 others become daily cigarette smokers (SAMHSA 2013). This seemingly innocent experimentation comes at a great cost. Nearly 90% of adult smokers, many of whom suffer from smoking-related diseases, started smoking before they were 18 years old. The teen tobacco problem is the tobacco problem.
FCB New York developed content for FDA Center of Tobacco Products and its campaign, “The Real Cost” that presented a smoking prevention message in an entirely new way. Instead of just creating Tumblr content and hoping it would be found, FCB used tags that research showed put cigarettes in the most positive light. The tags married content to the streams leveraging the native behaviors used by its target. The resulting content had a fresh look, was unexpected and best of all, got the message across.
After the launch of the campaign, the monthly engagement for The Real Cost skyrocketed, 20 times greater than prior to launch. The average monthly page views rose by nearly 100,000 views and the number of engagements with content nearly doubled with monthly average engagements rising from 47.7K before May to 90.25K after. FCB New York recently won a 2016 Shorty Award in the Best Overall Tumblr Presence category for its work on "The Real Cost.”
- MullenLowe London Brings Attention to Child Sexual Abuse - Published on 01/17/2019
- Helping Disappointed U.S. Soccer Fans Find a New Fandom - Published on 01/14/2019
- Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball - Published on 01/14/2019
- IPG Hosts Annual Women’s Breakfast at CES - Published on 01/14/2019
- EP+Co Pushes the Limit in Fashion Advertising with Newest Men's Wearhouse Campaign - Published on 01/10/2019
- EP+Co & Lenovo Let Gamers Embrace Their Inner Savage - Published on 01/10/2019
- EP+Co and Denny's Launch the Mobile Relief Diner - Published on 01/09/2019
- LOLA MullenLowe Encourages Blood Marrow Donation - Published on 01/07/2019
- McCann and Cigna Feature Queen Latifah and Nick Jonas in Emotional Wellness Campaign - Published on 01/03/2019
- Lisa Murray Appointed National Chair of IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network - Published on 12/12/2018