FCB Health Continues to Fight Discriminatory Blood Donation Policies
Outraged at being denied the chance to donate blood for the victims of Sunday’s mass shooting in Orlando, a coalition is calling for an end to discriminatory policies related to AIDS transmission. The Blood Equality coalition includes folks from FCB Health as well as medical experts, scientists and members of the LGBT community. They gathered in front of the steps of New York's City Hall on Tuesday morning to protest blood donor policies that require gay or bisexual men to abstain from sex for a year if they plan to donate blood. Earlier this year, FCB Health launched the Blood Equality campaign to help end this type of discrimination.
The mission of the Medical Advisory Board, which is part of the Blood Equality coaltion, is to bring together experts on blood donation policies, HIV and blood safety to discuss and figure out alternatives to the current policies.
“We are looking for better ways to look at screenings, ways that are less discriminatory,” said Dr. Joseph Barbagallo, medical strategist at FCB Health. “We don’t know the answers at present, but we just feel like there has got to be a better way.”
This event was planned weeks prior to the massacre at the nightclub in Orlando, in which 49 people were killed and 53 wounded, the mass shooting emphasizes the need for a change in policy, organizers said.
According to CNN, as hundreds of people lined up to donate blood for the victims of the terrorist and hate attack, many gay and bisexual men were turned away because they didn't meet the celibacy requirement.
- Weber Shandwick and DOVE Support Women’s Empowerment - Published on 03/22/2019
- BMW X3 Launch - Published on 03/19/2019
- Navigating the New Reality - Published on 03/19/2019
- Bank of America Special Olympics World Games - Published on 03/18/2019
- Hill Holliday and Optum Launch Brand Campaign - Published on 03/18/2019
- Lowe Lintas and Gits Food Mark IWD - Published on 03/12/2019
- McDonald's: MacCoin - Published on 03/11/2019
- nPower: Blue Go Green - Published on 03/11/2019
- Microsoft 365 – B2B Event Experiences Around The Globe - Published on 03/11/2019
- Frontier Communications – Sponsorship Strategy Roadmap - Published on 03/11/2019