FCB Health Continues to Fight Discriminatory Blood Donation Policies
Outraged at being denied the chance to donate blood for the victims of Sunday’s mass shooting in Orlando, a coalition is calling for an end to discriminatory policies related to AIDS transmission. The Blood Equality coalition includes folks from FCB Health as well as medical experts, scientists and members of the LGBT community. They gathered in front of the steps of New York's City Hall on Tuesday morning to protest blood donor policies that require gay or bisexual men to abstain from sex for a year if they plan to donate blood. Earlier this year, FCB Health launched the Blood Equality campaign to help end this type of discrimination.
The mission of the Medical Advisory Board, which is part of the Blood Equality coaltion, is to bring together experts on blood donation policies, HIV and blood safety to discuss and figure out alternatives to the current policies.
“We are looking for better ways to look at screenings, ways that are less discriminatory,” said Dr. Joseph Barbagallo, medical strategist at FCB Health. “We don’t know the answers at present, but we just feel like there has got to be a better way.”
This event was planned weeks prior to the massacre at the nightclub in Orlando, in which 49 people were killed and 53 wounded, the mass shooting emphasizes the need for a change in policy, organizers said.
According to CNN, as hundreds of people lined up to donate blood for the victims of the terrorist and hate attack, many gay and bisexual men were turned away because they didn't meet the celibacy requirement.
- Hill Holliday and Planet Fitness Launch New Work - Published on 07/16/2018
- LOLA MullenLowe and Burger King – ‘Come as a Clown, Eat Like a King’ - Published on 07/13/2018
- FCB Lisbon Partners with Paralympic Committee - Published on 07/10/2018
- EP+Co Celebrates Pride Month - Published on 07/09/2018
- 215 McCann and Minecraft Enlist Gamers to Save Coral Reefs - Published on 07/03/2018
- The Brooklyn Brothers Launches Isey Skyr in Russia - Published on 06/28/2018
- MRM//McCann and Creative Spirit: Nurturing Talent Together - Published on 06/28/2018
- IPG and charity: water Project Update - Published on 06/28/2018
- Shay Fu Named to Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business - Published on 06/28/2018
- Interpublic’s Black Employee Network Hosts Program for Black Music Month - Published on 06/27/2018