MullenLowe Works to Increase Diversity of Blood Donors
More people from Black and Asian communities are needed to donate blood and register as organ donors. Less than 3% of people who have given blood in England in the last 12 months come from those communities. And, individuals from these communities are more likely to have rarer blood types and conditions like Sickle Cell Disease, which require regular blood transfusions. Blood from donors with a similar ethnic background gives the best match and outcomes in the long term.
The film features UK grime artist Lady Leshurr and showcases some leading UK celebrities including record breaking Olympian Nicola Adams MBE, TV presenter and wheelchair basketball plater Ade Adepitan, Chuka Umunna MP and MOBO’s own Founder and CEO Kanya King MBE. Lady Leshurr encourages and inspires with her “Represent” rap and calls out “We all gotta take some time to make it right. We gotta take some time, give blood, save a life.”
Nadine Eaton, Head of National Campaigns for Blood Donation at NHS Blood and Transplant, comments: “With the UK population becoming increasing diverse, and yet only 3% of our current blood donors being of Black or Asian heritage, there is a real need for us to inspire more people from these communities, especially the younger generations, to give blood. We hope by partnering with the MOBO Awards and engaging with key role models and influencers from within the BAME community we can highlight the importance of blood donation and motivate more people from these communities to book an appointment and help save lives.”
Richard Denney, MullenLowe London ECD comments: “When you see a statistic as shocking as the one in this film our job becomes clear. It’s not just to advertise our clients, but to use creativity to reach a community that aren’t otherwise engaged and inspire them, with the simple act of registering and giving blood, to save lives.”
The online film will be supported by a social campaign partnership between NHS Blood and Transplant and the MOBO Awards.
- MullenLowe London Brings Attention to Child Sexual Abuse - Published on 01/17/2019
- Helping Disappointed U.S. Soccer Fans Find a New Fandom - Published on 01/14/2019
- Hitting a Homer with Mall Ball - Published on 01/14/2019
- IPG Hosts Annual Women’s Breakfast at CES - Published on 01/14/2019
- EP+Co Pushes the Limit in Fashion Advertising with Newest Men's Wearhouse Campaign - Published on 01/10/2019
- EP+Co & Lenovo Let Gamers Embrace Their Inner Savage - Published on 01/10/2019
- EP+Co and Denny's Launch the Mobile Relief Diner - Published on 01/09/2019
- LOLA MullenLowe Encourages Blood Marrow Donation - Published on 01/07/2019
- McCann and Cigna Feature Queen Latifah and Nick Jonas in Emotional Wellness Campaign - Published on 01/03/2019
- Lisa Murray Appointed National Chair of IPG’s Women’s Leadership Network - Published on 12/12/2018