Putting Sustainability into Practice at IPG
20 Aug 2017
Sustainability is a core component of Interpublic’s corporate values. As we strive to provide clients with globally-focused marketing solutions, we are committed to managing the environmental footprint of our business operations. We approach sustainability as an opportunity for growth, as efficiently-managed resource and energy use drives employee innovation, stakeholder engagement, and relevance in an increasingly connected world.
To streamline our operations and reduce unnecessary usage of energy, water, and natural resources, we focus on our people. Specifically, we are focused on increasing efficiency of key employee processes: building operations, transportation, technology use, and supplier/vendor purchasing.
Our Sustainability Policy was launched in 2010 and updated in 2017. It encourages employees to reduce impacts through four key behaviors:
- Using energy more efficiently.
- Instituting recycling programs.
- Managing travel efficiently.
- Employing green building practices in real estate holdings.
Over the years, IPG has achieved measurable results in sustainability that include:
- 35% Reduction in Rentable Square Foot per Employee from 2004 to 2016.
- 17 IPG offices are LEED-certified. Beginning in 2016, all new tenant buildouts conform to LEED-certified or better.
- $5.5 Million in savings due to furniture recycling from 2007 to present.
- 70% reduction in power consumption in our central IT operations since 2008.
And at a deeper level, the creative minds at our agencies are driving sustainability strategy through what they do best: innovation. As part of Interpublic’s long-term growth strategy, our agencies are developing advertising campaigns that create new markets for sustainable products, in partnership with forward-thinking clients. We are excited about this fundamental change in marketing, since it shifts demand toward more environmentally responsible products, and can result in consumer behavior changes that reduce environmental and social pressures on a meaningful scale.
To view our Corporate Citizenship Report, click here.