Global Reporting Initiative Reports
Report the primary activities, brands, products and services
IPG operates in all major world markets – our companies specialize in consumer advertising, digital marketing, communications planning and media buying, public relations and specialized communications disciplines.
2020 GRI 102-2: Report the primary activities, brands, products and services.
Interpublic Group (IPG) is one of the world’s premier global advertising and marketing services companies. IPG is a holding company consisting of more than 54,300 employees and operations in all major world markets through more than 100 companies. Our companies specialize in advertising, digital marketing, communications planning, media, public relations, specialized marketing, and data management.
Our companies create customized marketing solutions for clients that range in scale from large global marketers to regional and local clients. Comprehensive global services are critical to effectively serve our multinational and local clients in markets throughout the world as they seek to build brands, increase sales of their products and services, and gain market share.
Examples of recent campaigns from IPG companies can be found here.
IPG believes that each and every client is unique, with a finely tuned set of passions, behaviors, and motivations. We turn these disparate data points into human understanding and create more relevant and effective marketing.
We call this approach human-centered marketing. Thinking beyond demographics to connect, engage and interact with humans on a personal level to drive performance. Using data to identify real people and build engaging marketing experiences across all touchpoints.
Our solutions vary from project-based activity involving one agency to long-term, fully integrated campaigns created by multiple IPG agencies working together. With offices in over 100 countries, we can operate in a single region or deliver global integrated programs. IPG lists more than 100 of our companies on our website under the “Our Companies” section, with descriptions, capabilities, and office locations for each.
The role of our holding company is to provide resources and support to ensure that our agencies can best meet clients’ needs and to selectively facilitate collaborative client service among our agencies.
Based in New York City, our holding company sets company-wide financial objectives and corporate strategy, establishes financial management and operational controls, guides personnel policy, directs collaborative inter-agency programs, conducts investor relations, manages environmental, social, and governance (ESG) programs, provides enterprise risk management, and oversees mergers and acquisitions. In addition, we provide certain centralized functional services that offer our companies operational efficiencies, including accounting and finance, executive compensation management and recruitment assistance, employee benefits, marketing information retrieval and analysis, internal audit, legal services, real estate expertise, and travel services.
In 2019, IPG ranked as one of the best-managed companies, according to The Management Top 250 ranking, and was the only company from the advertising industry included in the list. Developed by the Drucker Institute and The Wall Street Journal, the ranking measures corporate effectiveness by examining performance in customer satisfaction, employee engagement and development, innovation, social responsibility, and financial strength.
Additionally, IPG was named a top company to work for and was the highest-ranked company in the advertising sector on LinkedIn’s Top Companies. This lists the 50 most sought-after companies where Americans want to work and develop their careers.
2020 was also a year in which IPG and our companies were recognized for consistent and effective creative work as we saw FCB and The Martin Agency take top honors in the Adweek Agency of the Year competition as U.S. Agency of the Year and Global Agency of the Year, respectively. IPG was also named Most Effective Holding Company at 2020 U.S. Effie Awards and named Creative Holding Company of the Year, where McCann Worldgroup was named Most Effective Creative Network, McCann New York Named Most Effective Agency Office and FCB New York’s “Whopper Detour” for Burger King won the Grand Effie. IPG was also named Holding Company of the Year at the 2020 One Show Awards, where FCB was also named Global Network of the Year.
IPG continued to lead the industry on the Age A-List, where McCann, R/GA, Mediahub, FCB and The Martin Agency all were honored. At the 2020 Campaign U.S. Agency of the Year Awards, IPG took home eight honors, more than any other holding company and the Campaign U.S. 2020 Female Frontier Awards, women from IPG companies made up one quarter of the entire honoree list. PRovoke named Weber Shandwick Agency of the Year in LATAM and Global Agency of the Decade in 2020 and the agency was named Purpose Agency of the Year and U.S. Large Agency of the Year by PRWeek. Octagon won Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services for a record fourth time at the 2020 Sports Business Awards. Campaign U.S. 2020 Power of Purpose awards recognized McCann Worldgroup, FCB, FCB/SIX, Golin and Huge. At the 2020 ANA Multicultural Excellence Awards, the FCB Canada, Golin, IW Group and McCann all took home a Grand Prize. Ad Age named Carmichael Lynch, UM and FCB to its Best Places to Work in 2020 list. Fast Company named MRM to its 2020 Best Workplace Innovators list. Gartner named Huge, MRM and R/GA to its 2020 Magic Quadrant for Global Marketing Agencies.
Adweek named UM its U.S. Media Agency of the Year and awarded Carmichael Lynch, Mediahub, UM Canada, UM Los Angeles and UM New York winners of Media Plan of the Year. Initiative LATAM won Festival of Media’s 2020 Agency Network of the Year.
MM&M named FCB Health New York and FCBCURE to its 2020 Best Places to Work list, with FCB Health New York winning for the third consecutive year. And in MM&M’s Agency 100 List, FCB Health New York, McCann Health and AREA 23 were all featured in the top 12. The 2020 Manny Awards celebrated excellence in healthcare communications, awarding AREA 23, FCB Health Network, McCann Health and McCann Health Managed Markets.
IPG’s newly appointed CEO Philippe Krakowsky was named “Executive of the Year” by Mediapost and AAF National Marketing appointed Michael Roth to the Advertising Hall of Fame 2020 class.
IPG is home to some of the world’s best-known and most innovative communications specialists. Our Media, Data and Technology offerings are comprised of Mediabrands’ global media services, Acxiom’s data and technology capabilities, and Kinesso’s data-driven marketing solutions. Additionally, we have three global networks: McCann Worldgroup, Foote, Cone & Belding (FCB) and MullenLowe Group, which provide integrated, large-scale advertising and marketing solutions for clients. We also have a range of best-in-class global specialized communications assets as well as premier domestic integrated and global digital agencies that are industry leaders.
- Media, Data and Technology offerings provide strategic media planning and buying services as well as data management and leading marketing technology services. Our media services agencies manage tens of billions of dollars in marketing investment on behalf of their clients, providing strategic counsel and advisory services to navigate the fast-evolving consumer and media landscape. Full-service global media agencies within the Mediabrands network include UM and Initiative. Additional leading brands and specialist business units include Healix, IPG Media Lab, MAGNA, Orion Holdings, Rapport, and Reprise. Media solutions are developed and executed through integrated, data-driven marketing strategies.
- Recent additions include Acxiom and Kinesso. In 2018, IPG acquired, Acxiom, which provides the data foundation for many of the world’s largest and most sophisticated marketers. Acxiom’s solutions help clients organize, cleanse and store data in a responsible and ethical manner, and enhances our ability to provide data-driven marketing insights to our clients. In 2019, IPG launched Kinesso, a marketing technology company, providing the tools and services required to help marketers make traditional and addressable media activation faster, better and more effective through the use of data.
- McCann Worldgroup is a leading global marketing solutions network united across 100+ countries by a single vision: to help brands play a meaningful role in people’s lives. The network is comprised of various agencies including: McCann (advertising), MRM (science/technology/relationship marketing), Momentum Worldwide (total brand experience), McCann Health (professional/direct to consumer communications), and CRAFT (production). McCann is aligned with our marketing services agencies including Weber Shandwick (public relations) and FutureBrand (consulting/design). In 2019, McCann was recognized by Cannes Lions as the 2019 Network of the Year and by the Effies as the world’s most creatively effective marketing services company.
- FCB is a global marketing communications company. Based on an understanding of diversified markets and cultures, FCB focuses on creating “Never Finished” ideas for clients that reflect each brand’s past and anticipate its future. FCB also offers a range of best-in-class, integrated and specialist marketing capabilities: FCB Health, one of the world’s most awarded healthcare marketing networks; shopper-first agency FCB/RED; design agency Chute Gerdeman; experiential agency FCBX; production studios Lord + Thomas and FuelContent; CRM agency FCB/SIX; and digital agency New Honor Society. In 2019, FCB was named to the Ad Age Agency A-List.
- MullenLowe Group is a creatively driven integrated marketing communications network with a strong entrepreneurial heritage and challenger mentality. A global creative boutique of distinctive diverse agencies, MullenLowe Group is networked in more than 65 markets. Within the Group’s distinctive hyperbundled-operating model, global specializations include expertise in brand strategy, and through-the-line advertising with MullenLowe; digital transformation with MullenLowe Profero; media and communications planning and buying with Mediahub; customer experience activation with MullenLowe Open; and consumer and corporate PR with MullenLowe PR and MullenLowe salt. The group is focused on delivering an “Unfair Share of Attention” for clients and is consistently ranked among the most awarded creative and effective agency networks in the world. In 2019, Mediahub was named Ad Age Media Agency of the Year.
- Our CMG group has exceptional global marketing specialists across a range of disciplines, including industry-leading public relations agencies such as Weber Shandwick, Golin, DeVries Global, Axis, and Current Global. These agencies have expertise in every significant area of communication management. Additionally, Jack Morton is a global brand experience agency, and FutureBrand is a leading brand consultancy. Octagon is a global sports, entertainment, and lifestyle marketing agency.
- Our domestic integrated independent and digital specialist agencies include some of advertising’s most recognizable and storied agency brands, including Carmichael Lynch, Deutsch, Hill Holliday, Huge, R/GA and The Martin Agency. The marketing programs created by these agencies incorporate all media channels, customer relationship management, public relations, and other digital marketing activities and have helped build some of the most powerful brands in the U.S., across all sectors and industries.
To learn more about our broad range of capabilities, visit our website at www.interpublic.com. Information on our website is not part of this report.